Nineteen

You sat on your bed the next day, reading, minding your own business when Bucky burst in and jumped on your bed. "I finally found it!"

"Look who doesn't knock now?" You sighed, teasing him this time around.

Bucky stuck his tongue out, "Try locking your door."

"I wasn't doing anything, unlike someone." You winked, reminding him that you caught him... Well, nearly caught him.

"I'm a single bloke alone in his room. Always knock."

"What do you want James?" You sighed putting your book down and sitting up, crossing your legs.

"Ooo James. Am I actually interrupting? Is that a dirty book?" He leaned over to try grab the book, pushing you backwards as he did. You put your hands on his chest, pushing him back as you laughed with him.

"What do you want!" You continued to laugh as he kept trying to grab the book.

Bucky smiled, reached behind him and brought a little box from his pocket, "I know it's late. But happy birthday."

"You didn't have to get me anything." You took the box off him, still lying down.

He sat up, kneeling on the bed with his hands resting on your legs which lay over this thighs, "I know. Technically I didn't get you anything."

You frowned, confused, and lifted the lid gently. There inside was a titanium chain with two dog tags, "is this....?"

"My army tags. I just wanted you to have a little bit if me wherever you go, so you know I'm always here for you."

"This is perfect. Thank you." You scrambled up on to your knees, took them out the box and hugged Bucky before slipping the chain over your head, the tags hanging low by your chest. "I don't think anything could beat this. This is amazing."

"What about a proposal from Steve?"

Steve? Propose? No way! You looked at Bucky shocked, "I would say no and call him crazy."

Bucky clicked his tongue jumping off the bed. "Best tell him to return the ring then." He walked to the door as you jumped up and grabbed his arm.

"Whoa! You're joking right? He's not going to propose?" Bucky turned round holding in his laughter. "You're such a jerk."

"I get bored! And winding you up is fun." He gently pushed your shoulder. He really did love teasing you.

"You're lucky you're my best friend." You crossed your arms in a huff, but Bucky just wrapped you in his arms, smiling. You looked down at the tags and held them tight, "Thank you for trusting me with these."

"No one else I trust them with." He whispered, leaning his head on yours.

You were quiet for a moment, wanting to ask him that burning question but not wanting to ruin a moment either.

"So, you think it's weird we trust each other yet know nothing about the other?" Neither of you moved, just holding each other as you both thought the question over.

Bucky took in a deep breath before speaking "I guess. But bits of the puzzle are starting to click together; I was at that warehouse the same time as you were held there."

"Training me. And others I'm guessing."

"Yeah... that's kinda nerve wrecking. You suck at fighting, so I must suck at teaching ..."

You pulled away from him and scoffed, "Ruin the moment. What are you like?"

"One of a kind." He smiled brightly