Five

For the next three days you couldn't sleep. You lay down and tried but every little noise made you paranoid; what if they tried to take you in your sleep again?

Not to mention this room was so different to your last one. You had a comfy bed, it was warm, and you and your own bathroom. That was just amazing to you; being able to shower whenever you wanted and even go to the toilet in peace, and alone

You still were not used to the darkness when night fell. Tonight you left the curtains open so you could see outside and the moon light would drift in until the sun light came back. But the other nights you left the lights on. You had tried to sleep in the dark but you just couldn't. So you thought you'd gradually get to that.

Bucky brought in food for you as you were too nervous to leave, but you never ate any of it. The first lot you left he got upset that you didn't eat. His face looked so hurt. You never wanted to see that face again. So, you tried eating. But what if it was spiked and they came back in to take you? You got up and put the food in the bathroom bin, away from Buckys eyes. He seemed happier when he came in and thought you had eaten. You didn't have the heart to tell him the truth.

One night, you got up out of bed and went for a wonder. Bucky had given you some shorts and a top as you had nothing to change in to. You wondered the corridors, looking at each room as you went; even numbers on the same side as your room, odds were opposite.

276, Bucky.

277, Sam

278, supplies.

279, Steve.

280, Kitchen.

The end of the hall was just one big window letting in the moon light. It was peaceful, serene. Looking out, you saw the mountains surrounding the compound and the moon hiding just behind one. The sky was clear and full of stars as you thought about where you had come from, what you had suffered, and what you were going to do next...

A door unlocked behind you and you heard footsteps, "hey."

You turned to see the guy who had pinned you down a few days before coming out the kitchen with just some trousers on and no top, showing off all his muscles. "you alright?"

"I can't sleep." You said quietly, turning away from him, unable to look at him any longer without blushing.

"I hated my first few nights here." He let go of the door and it closed slowly behind him as he walked up and stood next to you, leaning on the rail, "Nothing felt right. It was too warm and quiet. The bed was -"

"Too soft." You finished his sentence and smiled.

"Exactly." He softly laughed with a smile.

"It's strange. The blanket's so heavy, it feels like I'm suffocating with it on me." You sighed and let another small smile spread, "But it's warm without it anyway, warmer than I'm used to. It's too dark. I have to sleep, when I can, with the side light on like I'm eight again. Like I'm afraid of the dark."

"And are you?" He asked. You looked at him and bit your lip, unsure of the answer.

"I don't know. It was never dark where I was. Always light; bright lights too." You sighed looking back out to the moon. "But I guess I kind of am; you never know what's in the darkness."

You both were quiet for a moment before he spoke, "I'm Steve, by the way. Steve Rogers. I realised we never properly introduced ourselves." he smiled brightly and put out his hand. You took it and he just squeezed it tightly, still smiling. "It's a pleasure to meet you properly."

"And you." You smiled back. "So, why are you up this late?"

He smiled and laughed a little while looking down to the ground, hiding his face. "I could not sleep. I felt bad for my part in what happened, and I'm sorry about that."

"I appreciate it, thank you." You really did appreciate it. It wasn't OK, you weren't too sure if they'd try again, but you were happy he apologised.

You both stood in silence, looking out the window, unsure what to say. Next to you was possibly the most perfect man you had ever seen; his dirty blonde hair, his shining blue eyes, his chiselled jaw line, broad shoulders and arms...wow. His abs... Was he made in a lab?

"So, erm" you cleared your throat to break the silence. "I'm guessing that's your room?" You pointed to the door to the side of you both.

"Yeah. That's me." He furrowed his brow, like he was thinking about something.

You decided not to press it. "Am I on the boy wing by any chance?" You half laughed, noticing all the names on the doors seemed male.

"I'm afraid you are." Rogers chuckled lightly, "Bucky wanted you close to him."

"He's the first person I met that didn't want to hurt me." You fiddled with the string on your... Buckys... shorts, looking down as you did.

Rogers sighed and stood up straight, "We're not here to hurt you. We just want to work out who you are."

You looked over to him. He did look kind. His eyes shined in the moon light, making them look as if they were sparkling. "That would be nice to know." You weakly smiled.

"What do you mean?" Rogers asked confused.

"Even I don't know. As long as I can remember I've been in that lab. But then, I don't know if I've been there for a week or a year. Everything was always bright, I had no clock to check the time. I have no idea how many days have passed...and I don't know what they've done to me."

"Oh." Rogers looked over to you from the corner of his eyes, then looked down at the floor, "Does Bucky know?"

You nodded, "yeah. I told him the other day."

That conversation was hard. It felt like you had disappointed Bucky by being so weak, and you and no idea why. As you told him, you stuttered and cried, stopping every couple of words as you tried to get everything out. Luckily, Bucky was understanding. He let you talk as he sat next to you on your bed, wrapping his arms around your shoulders and holding you close.

"You seem to really trust him." Rogers said, breaking you out of your thoughts.

You smiled thinking about Bucky. It was strange that you trusted him. But you didn't question it. "I do."

"Well, I hope you can trust the rest of us half as much as you trust Buck."