Prologue

Alyssa

I didn't even look when they moved his body inside. They took the one person in the world who I fought to keep. The one person in the world who fought for me. I watched as massive balls of fire crashed down around me.

I watched as the boulders formed a sort of cage around them. They tried unsuccessfully to back away into the woods, but I uprooted trees blocking their escape. Fire blazed behind them so that even if they managed to get past the trees they would be burnt by the flames.

"I said, NO ONE IS GOING ANYWHERE."

I searched for the one that stabbed my husband and brought him forward. He struggled against the invisible hold but couldn't get free.

"You will die a slow painful death."

I flung him against one of the boulders and used my mind to hold him there.

"Just let us go. We didn't come here for you. We got what we wanted."

I zeroed in on the voice that said that.

"Let you go?"

I cackled.

"Let me see your sword."

I held out my hand and his sword appeared, then, as fast as it appeared it disappeared and was lodged in his chest. I flicked my wrist and his body went up in flames. I ignored the screaming and focused on the rest of them.

"Anybody else have something to say?"

They attacked. I cannot believe they were stupid enough to attack me. They didn't get far though, because I stopped them in their tracks. I might as well have a little fun. Rings of flames started to form around each invader. They were all standing in their own little circle, with fire blazing at their feet.

"That's more like it."

I summoned upon nature and the skies opened up answering my call. All I had to do was think about what I wanted to happen and it would. Each drop of rain felt like acid against their skins. It thrilled me to hear their screams; their cries of pain. Every time a drop touched their skin, it would singe and burn them, leaving a patch. It wasn't enough though. I started snapping bones. I used their own swords as weapons, leaving little cuts here and a stab or two there.

I continued that way for hours. Some of them had already succumbed to the flames. If they so much as attempted to step outside their circle, the flames would build a wall around them reaching above their heads, and they would suffocate while the fire burned them beyond recognition.

I decided to end this. I was getting a headache from all their screaming. I raised my hands and the flames flared up higher. It caged them in and formed a high wall around them. I watched as it closed in on them, and listened to their screams as they were slowly desiccated into ash by the flames.

"You!" I turned towards their leader. Sweat was dripping down the side of his face. I released his hold and he fell to his knees. A ring of fire formed around him, ensuring he couldn't escape. I held my hand out and a sword appeared.

"Let me see your hand."

The invisible force held him up with both hands spread wide. I sent the sword flying in his direction, and it sliced through one of his arm. His left arm hung limply at his side. I revelled in his screams and his look of absolute terror.

I dragged out his torture session as long as I could. When I was finally satisfied that it was time for him to die, I did the deed with my own hands. The force continued to hold him in place; flat on the ground this time. I took the sword in both hands, raised it above my head and plunged it with all my might straight into his heart.