Happy Pills (Twenty-Eight)

Upon opening her eyes, she was greeted with the most incredible sight--a beautiful blonde stretched out beside her wearing a toothpaste commercial worthy smile. Arm pulled from underneath the sheet, she stroked a smooth cheek. "Someone obviously woke up on the correct side of the bed this morning," she said, voice thickened from hours of sleep. Eyes briefly shut when her bedmate leaned in for a kiss. The other woman's mouth tasting minty, she hoped hers wasn't afflicted by that pesky morning breath. If her lover thought so, her expression didn't show it.

"I have great news."

"I love great news." Desiree smiled while trying to surreptitiously rub the sleep from the corners of her eyes. "Hit me with it."

Sitting up with legs folded underneath her, Piper's bouncing caused the bed to squeak. "Had voice messages from my employer and talked with him about twenty minutes ago. Said I was one of the best cooks he's had in a while, he's relieved my legal woes are over and he doesn't wish to lose me. Now I didn't want to lose him either but I played it cool and somehow winded up with a bit of a raise!" Every facial muscle seemed to stretch with the brilliance of her smile. "So, I'm still a working woman and I return the day after tomorrow, baby." 

Getting to her knees on the bed, Desiree wrapped her arms around Piper. "That's the best news. Congratulations!"

Although she happily returned the embrace, Piper shook her head and kissed the shoulder right below her mouth. "Nope, the best news is waking up beside you and knowing that you aren't my hostage and the police aren't after me." Sitting back, she cupped Desiree's face, thumb tenderly rubbing a bottom lip. "Woke up, put on a pot of coffee, made a few calls and looked outside to find the sun shining and the sky blue. I just feel lighter...hopeful and I've got a stunningly beautiful woman in my bed. Despite the fact that we haven't known each other long, I love you, Desiree and I'm thankful you're here with me."

Tears shined in her eyes while a warmth spread through her body. "How many happy pills did you swallow with that coffee?"

Chuckling, she tweaked Desiree's nose. "You're my happy pill." When she began crawling toward the headboard, Desiree wondered what she was doing until she wrapped her arms around her from behind, tugging backward. She winded up seated with her back pressed to Piper's front, long legs on either side of hers. A chin resting on her shoulder, hands slipped under her T-shirt to stroke her tummy. "This might sound crazy, but I wanna keep you."

"Keep me?"

"Mmhmm."

"How long?"

"You're twenty-three?"

Desiree nodded. "Yep."

"Okay, until you're eighty-three at least."

Emotions a colossal mess, a smile tugged at her lips regardless. "Sixty years. Hm, suppose I could give you sixty."

"So," Piper drew out that tiny word until it sounded like it contained two syllables, "you wanna move to San Francisco and since you're here in with me?"

Desiree wanted to turn around in order to study her face, but it felt too good pressed against that warm body with those strong arms around her. "Are you...you want to live together?"

"Yeah, I'm willing to ignore the fact we would be a lesbian stereotype. Don't really care what others might think. Just certain that I want to share a roof with you and this is the perfect time. You're not currently employed, you have family here and perhaps I'm biased but SF is an awesome city to live. My salary could support us while you work on your writing." Piper chuckled. "We'll be a 1950s couple."

Smile broadening, Desiree trailed her fingers along Piper's forearm. "That is a sweet proposal, but I wouldn't be comfortable unless I was pulling my own weight."

"So we'll get you a job. Maybe part-time so you'll still have more time to dedicate to writing."

Turning around, Desiree straddled her lap, hands placed on her shoulders while she gazed into light eyes. "You're serious, aren't you?"

Hands on the petite woman's waist, Piper brought her closer, kissing her lips. "Of course I am. There has been so much negativity, tears and tragedy. This...baby, I think this, you and I being together would be a very good, very positive thing. Is it soon? Yeah, but I don't wanna put it off. A couple months, six months or a year from now, I'll want to be with you, so if you believe you'll want to be with me too, what's the point in delaying? Life is short so let's just go for it."

A great part of her wanted to say yes, but something was holding her back and she knew precisely what that something was. How could she say yes to living with Piper when she could barely live with herself? Desiree considered she needed to deal with and accept the enormous choice she just made before she could agree to sharing a home with Piper. The guilt was already eating her up. If they were to live together, putting her in close proximity to Piper around the clock, it just might swallow her whole.

"Could I maybe think about it?" Desiree placed a hand over her chest. "My heart says yes, but my brain cautions to slow down." 

Disappointment concealed, Piper kissed her again. "I understand. Take all the time you need. In the meantime, know that my casa is your casa, okay?"

Desiree nodded while smiling. "Thank you." She glanced toward the bedside clock. "Could I treat you to breakfast?"

"Nope. Maybe lunch. I'm making you breakfast for the first time in my own kitchen. You like chocolate chip pancakes?"

"Never had them. You don't have to--"

A blond head quickly shook. "Shorty, do not tell me that I don't have to cook for you. Cooking is what I do best when I'm not kidnapping sizzling hot damsels." As she wiggled her brows Desiree laughed. "Working in the kitchen is not a chore for me. It's my life."

It was Desiree's turn to deposit a kiss. "Then I would love to taste your chocolate chip pancakes. If they're half as yummy as those body sundaes we dined on last night I will be in heaven."

Piper grinned while reminiscing. Last night she decided partaking of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and fudge from a person was much tastier and fun than from a bowl. The only drawback was cleaning up the mess, but at least Desiree helped her to clean while remaining butt naked before they took a shower.

Desiree laughed when arms secured around her middle, her lover lunging forward and within seconds having her pinned to the bed. A mouth collided with hers, a tongue seeking out hers while long fingers massaged her scalp. Legs around Piper, she feverishly kissed her back, hands roaming along her back, soon cupping firm cheeks. Just as she contemplated removing that sleeveless shirt the doorbell rang.

The groan vibrating against Desiree's mouth, Piper raised her head. "Who could that be?"

"Only one way to find out."

She adorably pouted by sticking out her lower lip. "Don't wanna."

Desiree sampled that lower lip. "Go get the door, sweetheart. I'm going to the bathroom to make myself presentable."

Just that swiftly the pout morphed into a grin. "Bladder full?"

Legs releasing Piper's hips, hands nudged her shoulders yet the blonde didn't move. "I refuse to answer that since I believe some things should remain a mystery."

Eyes twinkling, Piper shifted until she was on her knees and pointed toward the bathroom. "Go take care of your mysterious business and I'll answer the door." They heard a meow as the doorbell rang again. "And feed the furball."

Less than thirty seconds later, she arrived at the door after having to walk around Tobias since he attempted to block her progress. He needed her to head toward the kitchen not the front door! "Hold your horses. You're not starving." He flipped his bushy tail as she proceeded to unlock the door.

The moment she spotted the person standing on the other side she yearned to slam it. Instead she managed a semi-polite smile. "Morning, Larisa." Piper glanced toward the cup holder containing three tall covered cups in her left hand and a fragrant white bag in her right. Donuts. Annoyed with herself for being curious what kind of donuts were within, she told her that her sister was in the bathroom and should be out shortly.

"Actually, I came to see you. Well, too."

"Why?" Moving away from the entrance, she indicated for Larisa to enter, which she immediately took her up on, using her foot to shut the door.

"Could we go for a walk? Around the block or something?"

"Why?"

Larisa audibly sighed. "Because I want to talk with you."

"Can't talk here?" Tobias tried to get her attention by bumping his head against her leg while meowing a couple more times. Piper glanced down. "Dude, wait."

"Not unless you want my sister to learn about us."

"I don't know what you could have to say that's so important. We haven't spoken in a decade and I've been just fine without you and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. I don't want your sister to know about us because there isn't an us and there never was. You made that perfectly clear, so it doesn't matter. I'll repeat what I said in the hospital. You're an absolute stranger to me and that is the God's honest truth. As far as I'm concerned I don't know you as anything except Desiree's sister. Let the past remain in the past. Understood?"

"No, not understood." Swallowing the distance between them, they stood nearly toe to toe while a hungry cat glanced between them. "For someone who views me as a stranger you sure are transmitting some pissed off vibes. You should look up the definition of indifference."

"You think taking a walk with you will help?"

Larisa shrugged. "Maybe I don't deserve it, but please just give me a few minutes of your time."

Curious eyes glanced toward the bag. "Then we get the donuts?"

"Not a bribe. You get the donuts either way. Coffee too."

"What's not a bribe?"

Both looked toward the hall, watching as Desiree walked into the living room, her cat running toward her and meowing his discontent that neither of those humans had seen fit to provide him with breakfast. Picking him up, she cradled Tobias to her chest while awaiting a response.

Larisa nervously cleared her throat. "I was just asking Piper to take a walk with me so we could talk since our initial meeting didn't go so well."

Piper smirked. "Because you beat me with a pillow?"

"You really want to travel down that road? I attacked you with that pillow because I just learned you hit my sister."

"How about neither one of you travel down that road?" Managing to hold Tobias with one hand, Desiree pointed toward the bag. "What kind of donuts? Glazed in there?"

Larisa sent her sister a smile. "Of course. I know they're your favorite."

Piper frowned while exclaiming that the donuts should be eaten later as she was about to make breakfast. "Donuts are not appropriate morning food."

"Newsflash, Piper. She already has one mother." She held the bag out to Desiree. "Two glazed donuts in here with your name on them."

Piper snatched the bag before Desiree could take it, although she hadn't moved to do so. Instead she headed into the kitchen to feed her boy while her sibling and lover continued bickering with Larisa demanding that Piper give her the donuts back and Piper steadfastly refusing.

"I'm making pancakes. Donuts are for dessert."

Larisa glared, both disappointed and relieved not to have a pillow handy. "If she wants, Desi may eat donuts for breakfast. She's a grown ass woman in case that slipped whatever little mind you have." She wanted to kick herself for resembling a wimp by quickly moving backward when Piper stepped into her personal space.

"If you want me to take a walk with you, insulting my brain is not the way to go about it."

"I'm...sorry."

An eyebrow raised, Piper observed her face, doubting those two words. "Are you?"

"Sure."

"Really convincing." She carefully took possession of the cup holder heavy with beverages. "But I'll go." Walking toward the kitchen, Piper placed the coffee and donuts on the bar separating the kitchen from the living room. Having just finished feeding Tobias, Desiree looked toward her expectantly after her name was called. "If I don't return you know who's responsible. Check her trunk first."

"Be nice."

"I am nice." She grinned. "To you anyway."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Once Piper dressed they left with two of the coffee cups. Neither uttered a word until they exited the complex and had taken a few steps along the sidewalk. It was then that Piper asked the other woman exactly what she wished to talk about. 

"Us." Cup lifted, Larisa took a sip of the strong brew.

"Obviously. What about us?"

Larisa stated that she wanted to clear the air between them before she left, which she had booked a flight leaving the day after tomorrow. Her brother being released from the hospital today, she intended to spend some time with him first.

A freshman in college, Richie lived off campus with two roommates, but his mother had convinced him to come home for at least a few days while he continued his recovery. It didn't take much convincing as home cooked meals, extended cable and being doted on by his mom beat leftover Chinese food, an apartment that perpetually smelled of dirty socks and noisy roommates.

"I wanted you to know that breaking up with you is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, Piper. I didn't want to...it was bullshit when I made it seem that I only cared about the sex. Being with you was about so much more than the sex. I loved talking with you, exploring Jamaica with you, holding your hand, snuggling in bed, watching you sleep, brushing the hair away from your face, hugging you close enough to feel your heartbeat...everything. I didn't want to lose you. I was just too much of a chickenshit to keep you, so I went out of my way to make it seem that you meant nothing to me when in reality I started sobbing the moment you walked out of that restaurant." 

Larisa stopped walking, relieved when Piper did the same facing her without commenting, her expression unreadable. "Although I realize ten years have passed and it doesn't really matter now, especially since you're with my sister, it's important to me that you know a decade late how much you meant to me and how truly sorry I am. I not only hurt you, but myself because I threw away someone so special to me." Her voice cracked, throat tightening as Larisa willed the tears to remain hidden. They listened for all of five seconds. 

"I loved you, Piper. In such a short amount of time you became the center of my universe, you reached and filled the deepest section of my heart, you made me feel like I was dancing on air without my feet ever really leaving the ground. Regardless of all that, the fear got to me. What would my family say? Would my parents disown me? What would my friends say? I wasn't ready to come out of the closet...hell, I'm thirty-one years old now and I still haven't except for a couple of friends knowing.

"I'm going to say it again. Piper," her face damp, she gazed toward the woman who was less than an inch taller than her, "I loved you. Loved you with all my heart and for the longest time I mourned for us and I'm sorry that I destroyed us because I chose to take the coward's way. Everything seemed to work out for the best as I see how happy my sister makes you and I'm honestly happy for you both. I just didn't want another day to pass without you knowing the truth about Jamaica. I hope someday you'll find it in your heart to forgive me." Larisa shrugged, using the back of her hand to wipe at her face. "That's all. All I wanted to say." Using her cup, she indicated the apartment complex. "We can head back now."

Not budging, Piper wordlessly stared a few moments. "Damn it. For so long I've told myself that I hated you. Then when your father sentenced me to eleven years I was convinced that the Love family were a bunch of asses. Until I met Desiree."

"And now?" Larisa hesitantly inquired.

"Guess you're not so bad."

She didn't realize she had been holding her breath until she exhaled in relief. "I'm not so bad, huh?" Was the sun in her eyes too much or did Piper have tears in hers?

"No," she whispered, gently removing the cup from Larisa's grasp. Placing it and hers on the sidewalk, she tugged the surprised woman into a hug. When Larisa began to quietly cry she held her tighter. "Definitely not so bad."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

"Piper, you want to come with us to pick up Richie?" Desiree asked after swallowing a mouthful of milk. The three of them sat at the dining room table eating the delicious breakfast her lover prepared after inviting Larisa to join them. She was surprised, delighted and filled with questions when they returned with much less frost between them than when they left. A tiny part of her had been concerned that one of them would actually wind up stuffed in a trunk. For the last near hour they had been getting along quite decently. Piper must have shared the happy pills and taken another dose.

"No thanks, baby. I'm gonna sit this one out. Rest up for work." In case Richie cared to apologize for framing her in his 'attempted murder' she had already forgiven one Love today and decided that one was her limit per twenty-four hours.

"Work?" Larisa dropped her fork on a near empty plate. "Are you cooking?"

"I am. Same employment I had before."

"What restaurant?"

"Rizzoli's. Heard of it?"

"Heard of it? Yeah, I've been there several times. Great food." Beaming, Larisa picked up her fork, stabbing at the last few pieces of chocolate chip pancake left on her plate. "Seriously, best Italian fine dining I've ever had. Next time I'm in town I'll have to savor a meal prepared by you. What is your specialty?"

Sitting back in the chair, Piper folded her arms against her chest. "Damn, I'm an expert at so many dishes." She grinned as the sisters rolled their eyes. "If I were to choose, I'd recommend my wild mushroom risotto--an assortment of oyster, shiitake and dried porcini mushrooms, butter, white wine, fresh sage, grated Parmigiano etc. You'll die."

Larisa appeared dreamy while imagining how Piper's risotto must taste. "If I do, please send me into the afterlife with a heaping plate of that."

Piper patted her shoulder. "My pleasure." She looked toward Desiree, noticing her inquisitive countenance. "Baby, do you like risotto?"

She seemed to force a smile. "Never had it."

"I'm going to make you some one night. Speaking of nights, how many more will I have you before you return to Los Angeles?" Although Desiree didn't wish to move in with her just yet, she was comforted by the fact that she didn't have any intention of leaving with her sister in two days.

"Think I should head back in about a week. Need to give my landlord thirty days notice that I'll be moving out."

"Going to be great having you as a roommate." Larisa smiled, reaching across the table to squeeze her sister's hand. 

Once they finished breakfast, Larisa insisted she would wash dishes. Meanwhile, Desiree returned to the bedroom to get dressed so they could go retrieve Richie. A drawer opened, Piper grabbed a dish towel and began to dry and put away dishes still warm from the soapy hot water. They were almost done when Larisa broke the silence.

"You've made me happy." She rinsed and handed over the final item--a spatula.

"How'd I manage that?" Thoroughly dried, Piper tossed it into the basket of utensils atop her refrigerator. Placing the dish towel on the counter, she turned toward Larisa.

Larisa mirrored her position. "By forgiving me. Don't think you realize how much that meant."

"Oh..." Eyes shifting from left to right, Piper then ducked her head in bashful fashion. "No big deal."

"You've hated me for ten years and today you hugged me. In my book that's a pretty big deal."

Her eyes meeting Larisa's, she softly smiled. "Glad we cleared the air."

"Me too. Might not see you again before I leave." With much hesitance, Larisa outstretched her arms. "A hug for the road?"

"All right, but don't get used to these." Winking with a teasing grin in place, Piper embraced her. Hugging her back, Larisa shut her eyes to savor more than she probably would the wild mushroom risotto.

Neither spotted Desiree standing in the hall, her expression doubly inquisitive than it had been during the breakfast conversation. How in the world did those two manage to become so chummy in such a short amount of time? She couldn't put her finger on why it agitated her so much.