Big Brother (Nineteen)

He truly put the pedal to the metal as he drove along the highway. If a police officer were to take notice of his speed then they would just have to chase him, because there was no way that Taj was going to willingly stop. He had to get to the cabin as soon as possible to warn Piper and Desiree that someone knew where they were. He wiped the sweat from his brow wondering what they would do next.

Taj glanced toward the phone placed on the passenger seat. Grabbing it, he once again dialed his best friend's cell. He had been trying for the past few hours to get in touch with her, but every time he dialed the number the phone would just ring and ring. It was starting to worry him that Piper would not answer her phone. Maybe he was too late. Taj shook his head trying to remain positive. Piper was an intelligent woman and she would know how to defend herself. Everything would be fine.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

The phone began to ring again. Desiree started to get up to answer it but Frank ushered for her to stay seated. He made no move to pick it up himself as he crossed his arms over his chest. Moments later, it stopped only to quickly start up again. Following a few rings, it again stopped, failing to promptly ring once more.

"Whoever it was they were persistent."

Desiree agreed with him. "Frank?" He looked down at her with a quizzical expression. "How did you know where we were? How did you find out?" It had suddenly come to her attention that the only person who should have known they were there was Taj. Not another soul was supposed to have a clue as far as she was aware.

Frank smiled down at her before glancing toward his watch. "Well, I don't have any other explanation for you other then the truth. Would you like to hear it?"

A frown etched her brow as it occurred to her that something didn't seem right. She tried reminding herself to keep calm. "The truth is always good."

"Well," he pushed himself away from the wall, "first let's start off with how Piper and I met." He started to walk back and forth in front of Desiree. "We met in San Francisco as she and her mother were in search of representation following Piper killing her father. Did she tell you about that?"

"Yes. She told me everything."

Frank nodded. "Very well. I went to the jail she was being held in and volunteered my services after learning what had happened. This brave young woman had killed her own father in order to protect her mother from the abuse he doled out on a regular basis. My heart went out to young Piper, so I wanted to take the case. Much to my relief, she and her mother decided to choose me, and that's where it all began. Unfortunately, I lost the case and Piper was sentenced to eleven years."

He glanced toward Desiree. "You don't know how I felt when the jury read the verdict. I still remember it like it was only yesterday. And then for Judge Richard Love to give her the maximum? That was brutal. I remember looking over at her and she looked collected enough. Perhaps surprised and a smidgen confused because she didn't expect that the judge would slap her with the max, but overall collected."

A slight smile curved his lips. "I admired her for that. I've seen some people who have totally broken down and started screaming and crying, but not her. After that, I didn't see her again until she was released a few months ago. I held her in my arms and she cried because she was so happy to be free. I had never seen her cry before that day." He paused gathering his thoughts. "Now all this has happened." Frank shook his head. "I don't believe she did any of it. In fact I know she didn't."

"How can you be so sure?"

Frank stopped pacing and looked at her. "Because I know who did it," he quietly stated.