62

MILLIES POV

Lupin's office door was open. He had already packed most of his things. The Grindylow's empty tank stood next to his battered old suitcase, which was open and nearly full. Lupin was bending over something on his desk, and only looked up when I knocked on the door.

"I saw you coming," said Lupin, smiling tiredly. He pointed to the Maraurder's Map lying open on his desk, his eyes staying on me the whole time. I watched as he glanced at the bandage on my arm: I quickly shut the door, then took a step forward. He stepped back, stumbling into his desk.

"Uncle Lu-"

"I'm so sorry, Millie," he whispered hoarsely, his face suddenly full of guilt. "I hurt you...I feel terrible...I'm dangerous...I'm a monster..."

"Erm - stop right there," I said fiercely, crossing my arms. "You are not a monster, Remus Lupin! Please don't tell me you're leaving because of me!"

"Well - I-" My stomach flipped guiltily as I stared up at him, my mouth dropping open. He sighed, meeting my eyes. "I'm so sorry-"

"Ugh, stop apologising!" I moaned, sending him a small smile. "It's really not your fault, I promise. I was the one who walked up to you like an idiot. I would've scratched me, too. And also, I love my scar. I think it looks wicked."

Lupin stared at me. "You think scars look - wicked?"

"Yep," I said, shrugging, "and I think you should too. Scars aren't a sign of weakness. If anything, they're a sign of strength. I've always wanted a tattoo, and you gave me one for free. I should be thanking you! So yeah, thanks."

"You really think so?" he said quietly, gently tracing one of his own scars on his face with his thumb.

"I don't think so," I said, taking another hesitant step forward. Lupin didn't move away this time. "I know so."

Lupin smiled gratefully at me, though I could still see the hint of guilt and sadness swimming in his brown eyes.

"You won't leave, will you?" I asked sadly, glancing around at the half-empty room. "I love you being here."

"I love being here too, Millie," said Lupin, his lips curving into a sad smile, "but I'm afraid Severus - er - accidentally let slip that I am a werewolf this morning."

"You aren't going to leave because of Snivellus, are you?" I gasped, furrowing my eyebrows angrily.

Lupin grinned at the nickname, but his face faltered as he said, "This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents - they will not want a werewolf teaching their children, Millie. And after last night, I see their point. Even if you say it doesn't bother you-" Lupin quickly added, raising his hand as I opened my mouth to argue, "-it must never happen again. I think you know that, Millie."

"What, you think Dad'll send an owl in saying that he doesn't want you teaching me?" I said angrily. "Do you know what Elwood Mac said about you after he found out? 'He's been my favourite teacher since he first joined. Shame he's leaving'. Or Lyra Medina? 'That's wicked! Professor Lupin, a werewolf? Who would've thought! I mean - come on - he hands out chocolate every lesson'. Uncle Lupin-" he smiled at these words "-you're the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had. Everyone loves you! Please stay! El and Ly are just two people in the school that have said positive things about you after finding out! Imagine how many people will too! You've already got me...Mione...Elwood...Lyra...Austin...Harry...Ron...Dean...Seamus... Neville..."

But Lupin threw his last few books into his case, closed the desk drawers and turned to look at me again.

"Here - I brought this from the Shrieking Shack last night," he said softly, handing me the Invisibility Cloak. "Give it back to Harry for me, will you? And..." he hesitated, then held out the Maraurder's Map, too. "As I am your godfather, I feel absolutely no guilt in giving you this back as well, and I dare say you will find uses for it. Besides, your father would most likely cry if I didn't."