51

MILLIES POV

My second from last exam, on Thursday morning, was Defence Against the Dark Arts. Lupin had compiled the most unusual exam I had ever taken; a sort of obstacle course outside in the sun, where we had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing a Grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of Red Cals, squish our way across a patch of marsh, ignoring the misleading directions from a Hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new boggart.

"Excellent, Millie!" Lupin shouted, as I climbed out of the trunk, grinning. "Full marks!"

"Thanks, sir," I said happily, sending him a sly wink. I began making my way over to Mione and Lyra, and upon seeing them, burst out laughing. "Ly, what're you wearing?" I spluttered, grabbing her arm in an attempt to stay standing.

"A bikini," she said, in a matter-of-fact tone. "I'm not going swimming in my uniform, am I?"

"I've told her already," Mione groaned, just as I opened my mouth to speak. "She won't listen."

"Ly, I don't think Lupin'll feel very comfortable marking you in a bikini, will he?" I said, still chuckling.

"Probably not," said Lyra, adjusting her green bikini-strap. She was getting a lot of longing looks from boys. "But I am not going in the water in a skirt and school-shirt."

She did. Professor McGonagall happened to walk past just as Lyra was about to walk forward to Lupin, and ended up taking ten points from Ravenclaw for her 'stupidity'.

"Don't be so ridiculous, Miss Medina," Professor McGonagall snapped, shaking her head disapprovingly. "This is an exam, not a fashion show."

She actually did very well, despite her complaining the whole time, all the way up until she reached the Hinkypunk, which successfully confused her into sinking waist-high into the quagmire. Mione did everything perfectly until she reached the trunk with the Boggart in it. After about a minute inside it, she burst out again, screaming.

"Hermione!" Lupin exclaimed, startled. "What's the matter?"

"P-P-Professor McGonagall!" Mione gasped, pointing at the trunk. "Sh-she said I'd failed everything!"

"Don't laugh," I warned Lyra, who had already turned around so that Mione couldn't see her amused grin.

It took a little while to calm Mione down. When at last she had regained a grip on herself, she, Lyra and I went back to the castle. Lyra was still slightly inclined to laugh at Mione's Boggart, but the sight that met us on the top of the steps prevented her from doing so, replacing her giggly state with an angry one, both girls sending anxious glances at me.

Cornelius Fudge, sweating slightly in his pinstriped cloak, was standing there staring out at the grounds. The 'Sirius Black' night immediately popped into my head, and my good mood vanished. Fudge started at the sight of me.

"Hello there, Millie!" he exclaimed, a bit too enthusiastically. "Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?"

"Yes," I said stiffly, staring up at him. Mione and Lyra, not being on speaking terms with the Minister for Magic, hovered awkwardly in the background.

"Lovely day," Fudge continued, casting an eye over the glistening lake.

"Yeah," I said again, cringing at the small talk.

"Mmm..." He peered over my shoulder, and I watched as his face suddenly lit up. "Ah, hello, Harry!"

I turned around to see Harry, Dean and Ron strolling towards us, all three of them wearing short-sleeved school shirts, their tanned arms on show, glowing in the heat. Even a group of older girls were goggling at them, along with the ones our age and younger.