56

MILLIES POV

"WHAT THE FUCK!" I screamed.

Dad, Lupin and Black let go of each other and turned to me. If only I had my wand, I would've been able to use my power - instead, I used my voice. "You - Dad, you-"

"Language, Millie," Dad said quietly, and that knocked my last bit of patience out the door.

"DAD!" I yelled, starting towards him. "How dare you - what about mum-?"

"Millie-"

"-you and him-!"

"Millie, calm down-"

"We didn't tell anyone, you know!" I sobbed, violently wiping my tears away and turning to Lupin, stopping just a few steps away from them. "Mione and I, we suspected you-"

"Millie, listen to us, please!" Lupin shouted, stepping forward. "We can explain-"

I could feel myself shaking, not with fear, but with a fresh wave of anger.

"I trusted you," I yelled at my godfather, my voice wavering out of control, "and dad...all this time you've been Black's friend!"

"You're wrong, Millie," said Dad, looking at me sadly. "I haven't been Sirius' friend for twelve years, and neither has Remus, but we are now...let us explain..."

"NO!" Mione screamed suddenly, rushing to my side. "Millie, don't trust Professor Lupin, he's been helping Black into the castle, he wants Harry dead too - you know why!"

I stared at her, one word repeating itself over and over in my brain - werewolf.

But Lupin was shaking his head. "Of course I don't want Harry dead-"

"Yes you do!" Mione shrieked, running past me to Harry and grabbing his arm. "Harry - he's a werewolf!"

There was a ringing silence. My eyes were now on Lupin, who looked remarkably calm, though rather pale.

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," he said finally. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want Harry dead..." An odd shiver passed over his face. "But I won't deny that I am a werewolf."

Ron made a valiant effort to get up again, but fell back with a whimper of pain. Lupin made towards him, looking concerned, but Ron gasped, "Get away from me, werewolf!"

Lupin stopped dead, glaring at Ron.

Silence.

Dad coughed awkwardly, breaking the quiet by asking me, "How long have you known?"

I didn't look at him as I answered through gritted teeth, "I didn't. Mione told me."

Dad and Lupin turned to her expectantly.

"Ages," she whispered, avoiding their eyes. "Since I did Professor Snape's werewolf essay..."

"He'll be delighted," said Lupin cooly, exchanging a glance with Dad. "He set that essay hoping someone would realise what my symptoms meant. Did you check the lunar chart and realise that I was always ill at the full moon, Hermione? Or did you realise that the Boggart changed into the moon when it saw me?"

"Both," Mione said quietly.

Lupin forced a laugh. "You're the cleverest witch of your age I've ever met, Hermione."

"I'm not," she whispered, shuffling closer to Harry. "If I'd been a bit cleverer, I'd have told everyone what you are!"

"But they already know," said Lupin, shrugging. "At least, the staff do."