Chapter Ten: I'm Nate! Not desperate!

“Happy Almostyour Birthday to You! Happy Almostyour Birthday to You! Happy Almostyour Birthday Dear Liam! Happy Almostyour Birthday to Youuuuu!” The 4 boys sang right into the speaker of Louis’ phone. We could hear Liam’s laughing from the other end

“Good bye boys, I’ll be there about an hour after you.” Liam said before the line disconnected. We made Liam stay behind so we could get any last minute arrangements done and out of the way. 3 other girls had joined us: Danielle, Eleanor and Perrie. We’ve only talked a little bit before coming here, but from what I’ve heard from our conversations, they were all amazing girls. Danielle had gorgeous brown hair that sprung into extremely voluminous curls that went a little past her shoulders. Danielle was a dancer, -and certainly had a dancer’s body- she danced for Jessie J and the boys on The X-Factor and that’s where she met her current boyfriend Liam. I haven’t gotten to talk to Eleanor as much as I’ve wanted to, seeing as she’s sitting next to Louis and all he’s doing is shouting and making weird faces, but she seems like a nice girl. With long, wavy light brown hair reaching just above her waist, a stunning smile, and a fantastic sense of humor, she was perfect for Louis. I haven’t talked to Perrie, she has the same personality as her boyfriend, Zayn. Quite shy, but I haven’t figured out if she comes out of her shell when she’s comfortable with people like he does, but I guess I’ll find out eventually. Perrie was a phenomenal singer (the boys showed me on the internet) and was in a girl band called Little Mix. I mean, they haven’t gotten as far as the boys have, but they’re still pretty well known throughout the UK. Zayn met her on The X-Factor as well; her band was formed the same day as the boys’. The 4 girls all auditioned as solo acts but the judges put them into a girl band. The whole thing kind of confused me at first, but I’ve got it now.

The limo pulled to a stop in front of a gorgeous hall, with vines actually growing up the side of the building, twisting themselves into intricate weaves of green. We all emerged from the limo and the others went inside, leaving Lacey and I to go get the cake from a shop down the street. Following Harry’s orders, Lacey and I strolled down the street, her heels making clicking noises with each step she took – whereas my converse made dragging sounds as I kicked them against the sidewalk when an awkward silence spread.

It was Lacey to finally break the silence “So. Why’re you hanging out with One Direction?” she asked, smiling. I forced a smile back as I racked my brain for a small lie. I can’t exactly spill out my whole life story to her like I did to Harry. I mean, that would be a good explanation but I’m not sure if telling another person would really help my case. I’m not even sure if telling Harry was the best decision I could have made. It was done now though. I can’t take it back.

“Uh. Just reasons, I guess.” I lied. Well, not really I guess. It felt like a lie though. I hate lying. Lacey seemed to sense the hesitation in my voice but looked past it and, with a nod of her head, let the conversation drop.  

“Well, if you every want to talk about it, I’m here.” She reassured me. I could hear the sincerity in her voice and couldn’t help but smile at her.

“I might just have to take you up on that.” I told her, trying to make it sound like the whole reason I was living with her cousin and his 4 best friends was hardly anything at all. Trying to steer the conversation away from me, I searched my mind for something to ask her. “So. Niall, huh?” I questioned her, winking when she turned to meet my gaze.

                “What? Noooooo.” She made a sound to brush it off.

                I laughed and nudged her in the ribs. “Awh. C’mon. You know you liiiiike him.” I sang.

                “No.” She huffed

                “Yes.” I protested.