Chapter 12 : The Soulbreaker

When Sansa entered the Great Hall of the castle again, followed by her daemon, she could not bring herself to glance at Daenerys.

She couldn't stop thinking about Bran's words, four little words that kept tormenting her.

Daenerys had killed Jon. Daenerys had killed Jon. Daenerys had killed Jon.

But she loved him. She told her herself that.

She loved him, and yet that didn't deter her from eliminating him the moment he became too dangerous, the moment he became an obstacle, a threat to her claim to the throne.

Sansa remembered what Tyrion had told her before the Long Night.

I would feel more confident about the future if I left after the Long Night convinced that you and Daenerys are allies.

Allies...

How could they be allies after what she had done in choosing the lions over the dragons, and after Daenerys had decided to end the life of one of the last wolves?

oOo

It was just beginning to get light when Jaime slipped into the Winterfell courtyard, which was completely inanimate and deserted, following the drunkenness that the victory against the dead had brought.

Unlike most of his surviving soldiers, who had drunk their fill the night before and were still sleeping heavily, Jaime was perfectly sober.

He couldn't afford to drink. He knew that.

He had promised Cersei that he would set out for King's Landing as soon as the White Walkers had been defeated and destroyed, and that was what he intended to do.

He was heading south now, alone, with Sercilia, and what little was left of the Lannister armies would set out shortly after him. He would go much faster alone than with several hundred men to lead.

Busy getting his horse ready, he didn't hear the footsteps just behind him, and was startled when a female voice rose in the morning silence:

''Leaving us already, Ser Jaime?''

His heart was pounding, and he wasn't really sure he really wanted to know the identity of the owner of that voice, but he turned around anyway.

The drumming in his chest subsided when he realized that it was only the new Lady of Winterfell accompanied by her own lion dæmon, and not Daenerys Targaryen, as he had feared for a moment.

''Indeed. Cersei promised her help in ending the threat of the White Walkers, and now she has. I must now return to King's Landing, before Daenerys decides to begin her journey to the capital.''

Sansa nodded, saying nothing for a moment, before deciding to speak again:

''Thank Cersei for her help from me. And...''

She glanced around furtively, to make sure no one unwanted could hear them, before slipping to the knight, her voice low:

''Let her know that our agreement still stands.''

(But perhaps Sansa should have been more careful. If she had been, she might have spotted the little bird that took flight as soon as the confidence had passed her lips).

oOo

The little boy's running footsteps echoed through the corridors of Winterfell in the early morning silence.

He knew exactly where he was going.

He had been made to promise that if he heard anything suspicious or disturbing, especially if it concerned Lady Sansa, he would come immediately to report it.