Chapter 5 : Heir to the Throne

Night had fallen on Winterfell when Sam found Bran outside, his eyes lost in the void, as usual.

"What are you doing outside?

Bran, drawn out of his trance by Sam's voice, looked at him. His crow, perched on the back of his wheelchair, croaked.

"I'm waiting for an old friend...''

He continued to stare at Sam insistently:

"It's time to tell Jon the truth.''

Sam shook his head.

"No... No... You're his brother... Isn't it your job to tell him?''

''I'm not his brother. You're the only one he really trusts. It's time he learned that...''

oOo

Jon was in the crypts, lighting candles on the graves.

He turned toward the statue of his father. His dæmon, Ghost, yelped softly behind him.

Jon looked at him and scratched it between his ears. Suddenly he heard a thud, followed by a curse.

He would have recognized the voice out of a thousand:

"Sam ?''

The figure emerged from the shadows, and his old friend from the Night's Watch appeared before his eyes, preceded by his dæmon, a rabbit.

"I'm sorry, I know I'm not allowed to be here...''

Jon didn't care if his friend had to be there. He hugged him in a manly embrace, like a brother from whom he had been separated for too long.

''Were you trying to avoid me? What are you doing in Winterfell ? Have you really read all the books in the Citadel?''

He saw Sam turn livid. Had he said something wrong?

''What's wrong ? Gilly? Is something wrong?''

Sam managed to stutter:

"She's fine...''

"Little Sam?''

"Did you know about this?''

Jon didn't understand what his friend was getting at:

"About what ?''

"Daenerys... She had my brother and father executed... they were her prisoners. Didn't she tell you?''

Yes, he knew. Of course he knew. Daenerys told him, but he hadn't really thought about it since.

''I'm really sorry. It's time to end this war.''

"Would you have done that?''

It was a difficult question, even though, deep down inside, Jon already knew the answer. No, he wouldn't have done that. He would never have done that. If he had had the choice between killing a man or simply keeping him prisoner, he could not deny that he would have chosen the second option. Nevertheless, it was not for him to criticize Daenerys' choices.

''I have executed men who disobeyed me.''

Sam did not seem to be satisfied with that answer.

''You pardoned some of them, too. Hundreds of Wildlings who refused to kneel.''

''I was no king.''

It didn't make any difference. King or no king, we still had a choice. And Daenerys had made hers a long time ago, and it would never be the same as Jon's.

Burn them all!

''But yes, you were. You're a king and you always have been.''

''I've given up my crown, Sam. I bent my knee. I am no longer King in the North.''