Back In Session

Late October 1979:

Standing in front of that door made my skin crawl, oh I was nervous. Lately I've been spending my nights at the train station, lately means two weeks. I take a hand and knock on the lovely engraved wood door. "Coming" a voice sings while the music gets quieter. "Oh" Jaime stands with a cigarette hanging lazily from her mouth, "hey Sharise."

"Hey Jam" I smile.

"Who's here?" another voice approaches, one being Sami. "Oh."

"Hey Sam, nice to see you both" I smiled at them both.

"Nice to see YOU lovie, where have you been" Jaime pulls me into her flat. Jaime Mäkinen was a sweet and friendly girl, always welcoming everyone. She was the type of friend that would wait for you while you tie your shoes. She was also the drummer for our band, well my old band. Hopefully that will change soon.

"I've missed you all" I hug her tightly.

"Was that before or after you quit and ruined our opportunity" Sami shakes his head.

"SAM!" Jaime scolds "she's our friend alright, and you know she didn't do it on purpose."

"No I am so sorry, it was a huge mistake" my head drops.

"Are you alright dear, looks like you haven't eaten in days" she examines my face. "Where's Max, is he feeding you? Oh he better or I'll break his neck with my bare hands."

"Actually we broke up" I shrug "for the best y'know."

"Oh" her soft smile falls into a subtle frown "come here." Jaime and Sami encase me into a warm hug that felt just right, one I needed. "If you need a place to stay you're always welcome here" she smiles once more.

"Thank you Jam, so much" I sigh in relief.

"Well you got here just in time y'know, the bands coming for a game night" Sami leans up against the wall. Sami Yaffa was our bassist for the spectacular Cherry Bombz, best band name for sure. He was for sure sweet but held a mean bone when there was a purpose. I was sure there was something between the two, Jaime and Sami. They were always with eachothers I swear.

"That's great" I nod, shoot.

"Well come on" Jaime grabs my hand and runs to an extra room, I forgot how big this was. "See this light?" she clicks on the lamp to reveal stars splashed across the ceiling. "Now you can watch the stars every night before bed, without going outside" she smiles. "But get comfortable for however long you need, and there's some clothes in the drawers if you wanna change" Jaime giggles. "OH and we can shop with Mack and Lenni tomorrow too!!" 

"Dude that would be amazing" I jump up and hug her. I was so thankful for my friends, I didn't deserve them. It felt nice getting a warm shower I haven't had in weeks and feeling safe for once. When I walked into the kitchen I was greeted with a cup of tea and an invitation to watch a program with Sami.

"Sorry bout what I said earlier" he looks over from the remote, shadows from the telly casting across his face.

"It's alright Sami, I get it" I sigh, "I was selfish to jeopardize and ruin that for you all."

"It's alright luv, I get why you did it" he pats his hand on my leg "when you love someone, you'd do anything for them."

"Just like you'd do anything for Jam huh" I snorted.

"Yes" he whispers, which makes me jump in surprise. 

"I KNEW IT" I nearly shouted.

"Shhhhh" he shushed me with his finger "don't say anything please."

"Secrets safe with me sandman" I point a finger gun and click my tongue. We laugh along to the weird show on the tv and wait for the dreaded arrival of the mates, I had no idea where Jaime was either.

"Yo Jams" a gruff voice calls through the newly opened door. Jaime barrels through the living room to reach the door.

"MACK" she squeals, Sami quickly shutting off the t.v. "And Lenni of course."

"Brought the drinks too dummy" Lenni laughs. I see him nearly drop the bottle of vodka when he sees me, Mack choking on his words.

"Hey guys" I wave, standing up to formally greet them.

"Finally you're back" Mack shakes his head with a cheeky grin, he was always a joker. 

"Dude, what the hell are you doing back?" Lenni smacks his gum with his arm thrown around his girlfriend, Joey's shoulder.

"Max and I broke up" I shrug "he was an asshole anyway."

"Yeah you finally realized that huh" Lenni chuckles. Lenni Heikkinen was our rhythm guitarist, and really an alcoholic, but you just don’t mention it. If I was being completely honest, very attractive as well. He was a sweet, funny guy with curly brown hair that ended at his shoulders. He ALWAYS dressed like a rockstar, with his loose button downs and flares. Like Jimmy Page, but two hundred times better.

"Bout time Sherry my dear" Mack sets the alcohol on the table. Mack Järvinen was our lead singer with the moves like Jagger. He had a voice like Bon Scott, but LITERALLY so much better. He dressed similar to Lenni but leaned towards more of a style like George Harrison or Mick Taylor. He had shaggy blond hair that was shorter than Lenni's but fit his face so well. He was handsome just like Lenni too, all the guys in this band were good looking. "There's Sami man" he throws him into a headlock.

"It's really nice to have you back" Lenni pulls me into a hug.

"Sherry now that you're back, you gonna rejoin the band?" Mack looks up with his hair all tousled around.

"Would you guys seriously let me back in!?" I hide my excitement.

"Dude of course" Jaime nods profusely. "All in favor of Sherry rejoining the band" she throws her hands up, everyone else joining in. 

"HELL TO THE YES'' I cheer and in return get a few laughs. I was ecstatic, this was way easier than I thought. Again, I made a big deal outta nothing. Sherry Cherry is back baby, and better than ever. 

"Each player chooses a token and places it on 'Go', and is provided with $1500 as follows" Jaime reads the rules to Monopoly while we all sit around the coffee table.

"I call banker" Joey steals the plastic set up with money sticking out from slots. 

"Hand me the money" Mack reaches his hands out like a greedy man. Joey slaps his hands away, proceeding to win a game of rock, paper, scissors to be the banker. Drinks flew by the hours we played that game, I was so glad to be home. But I kinda missed Matti, I hope he had somewhere to stay now.

"HA I WIN" Lenni jumps up and kicks the coffee table by accident, yelping in pain. 

"Oh blah blah, you're a loser Lenni" Sami rolls his eyes "first game you ever one."

"Okay what next" Jaime sits up from her seat. We dive into an interesting game of Clue. Lucky me, I was Blanche White.

"Uhm" Mack taps his chin "was it Mustard? In the Dining Room? With the Lead Pipe?"

"Cannot answer" Jaime takes a swig of the bottle. This was definitely one of my favorite games by far.

"WAS IT" Sami moves around the pieces. "Blanche, in the bathroom, with the pipe!" he looks at the envelope and throws his hands up in triumph.

"DAMMIT" I fall over, laughing with the rest. More hours go by and the sun slowly rises, still playing the night away. "Go fish" I yawn, the kinda yawn that makes your eyes water. 

"Fish go" Lenni whispers with his arms wrapped around Joey. I laugh a bit and lay down next to Mack on the ground, batting my sleepy eyes.