Stray Cats

November 1979:

"Mike stop moving" I hold his shaky hand in mine, applying black nail polish to his nails. 

"Sorry I can't" he laughs to himself and purposely moves his hand so it smears on his finger. "Oops."

"MIKE" I snort but hold a firm glare on him. I had a connection to Mike that was so quick, it's crazy to think we were just a bunch of strangers a few weeks ago. He held a spirit that was just trustworthy, I liked that. "Don't. Move." I look up at his goofy expression.

"Okay bossy boots" he smirks. I could feel him watching me intently and it threw me off.

"Stop watching too" I stick out my tongue to focus on the task of perfect nails. "Okay finished, let em dry before you go mess around" I set the polish on my nightstand. Jaime was out with Sami shopping, or so she says. "I'm bored" I fall back on the bed and look out the window to catch a beam of sunlight in my eyes.

"What do you wanna do?" Matti lays back down next to me.

"If I knew I would already be doing it" I roll my eyes.

"Hmm" he hums. We both sit and think of something to spend a day on. "There's an art museum in Helsinki i-"

"Let's go" I fly off the bed and slip my boots on.

"Dude my nails" he holds his fingers up. I hold up my index finger and run to get Jaimes blow dryer in hopes of drying them quickly. 

"Ready to roll cool cat" I watch him fix his leopard printed scarf in the mirror.

"Now I am Sherbear" he sticks his tongue out.

"Haha never call me that again '' I punched his arm. I grab Sami's camera off the counter and stuff it in my coat pocket before we head out the door. It was a beautiful day in Finland, which was nice considering the consistent rainy days so far. "Tonight Jaime wants to hang the Christmas decorations up."

"Should be fun" he nods "what are you gonna get for Christmas?"

"Probably nothing cause my money situation. But I actually might '' I wink.

"Me too" he laughs "we should steal some stuff together, a master plan for a totally wicked gift.

"Good idea genius" I roll my eyes "I need to get a job soon, can't stay at Jaime's forever."

"Me too, can't live with you forever" he stuffs his hands in his pockets and chatters his teeth.

"Sure ya could, stay as long as you need babe" I pull out a cigarette and share it with Matti. We get to the subway train and hop on, ready for the ride to Helsinki. "Look at this" I point to a guitar in the magazine.

"Hey that's sweet" he looks over from his magazine, showing me a saxophone. It wasn't supposed to be a long ride, but we had many stops before we got there. We ended up falling asleep on eachothers shoulders, snoring quietly. "Wake up Sherry" Matti taps my shoulder.

"Whoa dude" I squint at the sunlight blasting my eyes. "Let's go" I stand up and grab his hand to pull him up. The station was bustling with families, business travelers and homeless people playing guitars for a few coins. I felt them deeply, so I threw a few coins to every street performer I saw.

"You're really an angel aren't you?" Matti smiles.

"I may be, or a devil" I tease with my tongue sticking out. "Call me devil-sher?"

"Devil-sher doesn't ring" he shakes his head. "What about Mevil? Like Mike and devil."

"Bro that sounds like something you'd name a rat" I chuckled.