chapter 5

Alfred had been able to avoid everyone for the next 2 days until his flight. He walked to the airport and got through customs quickly. He then sat and waited for his flight to be called. Once it did he boarded and took his seat. He looked out the window before turning to the flight attendant who asked if he would like a drink he said no. He smiled at the her and she smiled back before moving onto the other passengers. He sat back in his seat. He watched the scenery pass by below him. He couldn't wait to get home. He wanted to be far from everyone right now. He couldn't let them see him as weak. He was a hero and he couldn't be weak. Not if he wanted to protect them.

   After the plane landed he got his bag. Then made his way through the airport so he could go find his car. Once he saw his car, he unlocked it and threw his bag into the back seat. He got into the drivers seat and started car and began the 3 hour drive home. He kept his eyes on the road only looking away once in awhile. About 2 hours into the drive he stopped to fill up on gas. He parked the car before going into the gas station. He went in and grabbed a bottle of water he payed for that as well as his gas. He filled up the car before he he started driving again. Once he made it home he parked his car.  He got out his bag and locked his car. When he got to the steps of his house he saw a cat who looked sick. He quickly picked the cat up. He looked it over and noticed it's paw seemed to be broken. He took the cat into the house.

  He quickly set his bag on the couch. He took the cat to the bathroom and wrapped it in a towel. He then checked to see that the cat was infact a male. After cleaning the cat up he called the vet and set up an asked if they were open. Once he found out they where he made his way there. He carried the cat gently, trying not to hurt him more. As he walked into the clinic he saw that there weren't many people. He got checked in and was told to wait a few minutes. When his name was called he picked up the cat and followed the vet. They asked him about what happened and he told them that he found the cat on his door steps. They then took the cat to get a cat scan as well as check up on other things. Alfred had to go sit back in the waiting room for a few hours. The nurse then called for him. She told him that the cat had a broken paw and that it would heal in a few moths. She then said that the cat had no chip or identification of any kind.

   Alfred looked at the cat and asked if he could potentially adopt him. She told him that he would have to go to a pound in order to get the papers to fill out. That's exactly what he did. He then went out and got everything the cat would need. He got him a bed, a bowl, a scratch post, toys, food. He then decided he needed to get him a collar. He looked at the cat. He hadn't known the cat very long. Infact he didn't even know why he felt such a deep connection with him. He decided to name the cat hero, if alfred couldn't be a hero for himself or anyone else, maybe his furry friend could.

   Once he got back to hus house he sat hero on his couch and went put to grab everything from the car. He set everything down and looked at hero before holding up the collar. He then put it on hero, hearing a happy purr come from him. He then looked over at his bag and decided to put everything away. He told hero that he would be back in a few minutes. He went upstairs and put away all his toiletries and put his clothes in a basket. He then put his notebook in the kitchen. He also grabbed the cat dishes and food. He filled up one bowl with food and the other with water. He the grabbed the cat bed putting ut in his bedroom. He also got out all the toys for hero and left them in the living room.

   He then looked at hero asking if he was tired. The cat purred rubbing his face against Alfred's. Alfred let out a small smile and laugh. Alfred picked up hero. He went up to his bedroom and set hero in the cat bed before he went over to his closet. He got out some night clothes and began to change. He then went over to his bed and sat down. Then he heard a meow. He looked down and saw hero, he picked him up. He didn't want to sleep alone either. For the first time in years Alfred didn't dread going to sleep.