Chapter Five ~ Friend

T A T U M

     "Again, I'm so sorry about my brothers ridiculous behaviour, and I'm sorry this is how we got introduced," Onyx says to me with sincerity, her blue eyes apologetic

"It's ok, it's not your fault..." I say to her, silence following behind me.

"Well is there anything you want to do?" She asks me as a small smile adorned her face.

"I mean, I don't know really. Anything to get my mind off this ridiculous mess," I say more to myself than her. Onyx was nice, despite being that dickhead's sister.

"Has, Odysseus shown you around yet?" She asks me, hopeful that he had yet to complete the task.

"Yeah he did that today," I say with a small, sad smile as I think of the recent events that had occurred.

"Did you want to go swimming?" She asks while beaming at me, hope swirling in her blue eyes.

"Swimming where?" I ask her, I hadn't really seen any source of water when Odysseus showed me around.

"In the pool?" She asks while looking at me like I've grown two heads.

"Oh my god. Do not tell me he didn't show you the pool!" She exclaims, grabbing my arm in excitement.

"Well I guess it must have just skipped his mind?" I ask her. But my bigger question was, what is a pool? I've only ever swum in a stream that was next to our village. That was our only water source for miles.

"Well anyways, I'm assuming you don't have any clothes, so you can borrow some of mine," she says with a friendly smile.

She gets off the bed and walks to the door gesturing for me to follow. I get up and follow her out into the hallway, closing the door behind me. My mind goes back to the broken glass. How did the maid clean it that fast?

"So if you ever need me my room is just down on the next floor, I should be able to hear you if you call out my name," she says with a smile. We walk down the stairs from the chamber to the third floor. We come to a stop and I look up she opens the door for me.

I walk in and to say I'm shocked would say the least.

"Do you like it?" She asks me with a proud smile, closing the door behind her before sitting down on her bed.

"I love it," I say to her as I stand awkwardly, looking around.

"I've always loved the beach. I've only been there a couple of times when I was little with my mum and dad... and that dummy, well that was before my mum passed away. Dad has never been the same since," she says sadly, looking at her hands that rested in her lap. My eyes snap to her warped posture, she was upset and I wasn't the best at comforting someone in need.

"I don't know my mum and dad," I admit to her, catching her by surprise.

I think she thought I wouldn't open up this early. To be honest she's the closest I've ever had to a sister other than Rose, even though I didn't really know Onyx yet. But now I don't know what to think, was Rose even my sister? Was she in on all of this? I knew she hated wolves because of what they did but could she have been apart of this? She never told me what they did but the way she explained them made them sound like monsters.

I snap back into reality realising Onyx was sitting there not knowing what to say, or how to comfort me either.

"I was dropped off at the village when I was just a baby. I don't remember them - my parents - I don't know what happened to them, if they're still alive. If they love me. I don't know why they gave me up," I say to her sadly whilst trying to hold back a single tear that threatened to fall.

"I'm sorry to hear that Tate," she says, using the nickname Rose always used to give me. I look up at her, slightly stunned at what she had called me.

"It's alright. It's in the past now isn't it? I've had many years to heal, besides, I'm sure they had a good reason." I say shaking my head and letting out a sad chuckle.

"Well anyways, what about that pool?" I say with a smile.

———

Onyx opens the doors to the pool and I can't help but feel badass. I've never really seen myself before... but today Onyx made me see a different side of me for the first time, and I liked what I saw.

We see all the boys stare, could be because of curiosity to who I was... but I didn't care, I was just happy I looked nice.

I put my towel on the chair and look down at the olive green swimsuit Onyx gave me, she said it made my eyes pop. And too be honest I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or not. But she's my friend, so I hope it was.

"Are you ready?" She asks me, a smile rested on her lips as she looks at me with excitement.

"Yes," I say excitedly. It was my first time seeing a pool and it looked a lot safer than the stream besides the fact that it was deeper.

Suddenly I was glad I knew how to swim, happy I wasn't going to make a fool out of myself.

We head over to the steps and I could feel my excitement bubble inside of me.

"Ignore the boys, they're curious and you are hot, they're also perverts so don't mistake that," she says with an eye roll before stepping into the water.

I follow her down the steps and into the water. It wasn't cold like the stream, it was warm and relaxing. I swish around happily and watch as my auburn hair follows me around as it sways in the water.

"You're so easily entertained," Onyx laughs, making a joke.

"It's kind of hard not too be when there's not many things to do around the village," I smile sadly, remembering the times I've had there.

"I'm always here for you if you want to talk, Tate," she says to me with a sad smile, wanting to comfort me like a friend should.

"Thank you," I say to her, returning a brighter smile.

She smiles widely before splashing me with water playfully and laughing at me.

I gasp and wipe the water from my eyes before laughing, splashing water in her face.

"Alright miss! You're going to get it now!" She laughs and attacks me with more water. The echos of our laughs being heard across the room.

I could already tell Onyx was going to be my best friend.

*****
Edited

Dedicated to polysubstitutedbenze
For being an amazing person and giving me love and support💕💕💕

Don't forget to like, comment and share! :)