January

She was surprised to hear from him. It was the week after New Year's and he texted her to ask if she wanted to get that coffee. They planned to meet over the weekend and in the meantime, they texted nearly all day, every day. By the time Saturday morning rolled around, Adrienne felt that they were back to their friendly status and it wasn't awkward seeing him. Seeing his eyes. He was wearing a cotton mask with ties.

"My mom's been making them for charity. I stole one," he said.

He made a comment about the social distance measures inside the coffee shop. The same branded circles that were outside were now dotted along the inside. There was a sign asking for to-go customers to order from their phone and wait at their car.

"This is the best seat." Adrienne pointed to the high table with two stools at the corner along the window. She said it like she'd tested every seat in the shop. The baristas said hi to her.

"Come here a lot?" Paul asked.

As he sat down, Adrienne swung her shoulder bag around to her chest and pulled out a large, thin book with a cherry red cover.

"Yeah, on the weekends." She put the book on the table, right side up. A white number 5 took up the entire book and between the 5's curve and open space it said "where will you be five years from today?".

"I got you something. It's kind of silly but... happy birthday."

"Oh." Paul opened the book and flipped through the pages. Each page had an inspirational quote in bold lettering and blank space to fill in dreams and aspirations. He couldn't help but think about how in five years, he'd still be five years younger than Adrienne is now.

"Weird?" Adrienne reached for the book as if to take it back. She felt stupid for going through the trouble.

"No, it's good." Paul pulled the book closer to him and put it to the side. "Thank you. You didn't have to get me anything."

Adrienne shrugged.

As they waited for their lattes, she asked Paul how his New Year's was. She already knew what he did, since she asked him via text two days ago, but she was struggling to come up with a better conversation starter.

"I hooked up with my ex," Paul admitted. Partly because he wanted to see her reaction to gauge how she felt about him. Her right eyebrow lifted up slightly, which didn't give Paul a clear answer.

"Interesting... Are you guys back together now?"

"No."

"Why did you break up in the first place?"

"We didn't want to do long-distance."

"But you aren't."

"We didn't know that at the time."

"Obviously." Adrienne rolled her eyes. "But you didn't get back together, even so."

"Guess I like being single better."

"Guess you like hooking up with an old woman better. Thank you." She said the last part to the barista who brought over their drinks.

"Wow," Paul said. He shook his head and laughed.

Adrienne took a sip of her latte. A small dot of foam stuck to her lip. "I have a—"

"You've got some foam." Paul pointed to her lip.

"Oh, thanks." She wiped it away with the back of her thumb.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

She sighed. "I have a confession to make."