Chapter 51 - Motherly Feelings

"Silene." he says while hugging me tightly.
I'm not even sure what Juan feels about this. Probably, I just ruined his life with a few words. But, he's still caressing my back, holding me tightly, waiting for me to calm.
After I told him, I couldn't control my tears, but, truth to be told, I'm not even sure if there were tears of joy or sadness. I guess, I have to know what Juan thinks too so I can settle.
"There are diamonds in the bear." is the first sentence I manage to say. "I think we have to do something."
"Who cares about diamonds now?" surprisingly, his voice is calmer than I expected. "I want you to tell me how you feel about it."
"I don't know." I admit. "You?"
"If you want me to be honest..." Juan says with a smile. "I'm happy about it, but in no way my opinion matters. When it comes to this, you'll have to decide."
"No." I say feeling how the panic starts crawling in my soul. "Don't let me choose. We decide together, okay?"
"Fine." he says trying hard to hold his smile. "I'm happy as long as you are."
"Same." I conclude. "It's a bit late anyway."
"Late?" he asks while arranging my hair behind the ear. "What do you mean late?"
"Tatiana said that the pill might not have such an effect, because according to her I might've remained pregnant when we made love for first time in Lisbon." I look at Juan and see how he's biting his lip in the moment when I invoked Lisbon. "I think that is like two months and a half ago."
"Silene, you know there are other methods in case you want to get rid of it." he says trying to sound neutral, but there's a hint of sadness in his voice. "I don't want you to feel forced."
"Look at me." I say taking his face in my palms. "I'm keeping it. It's not mine or yours, it's ours. It's our child and he'll grow into becoming the biggest robber in history."
He bursts into laughter.
"Silene, this life is not suitable for raising a child." he says amused. "I think we should reconsider our priorities."
"I don't even wanna hear." I interrupt him. "I chose this life in the moment when I chose you and there's no way we're gonna abandon it for a kid. He's gonna be a robber just like we are and one night he'll be injured and will hide in a hallway only to be found by a girl who has nothing left to lose."
"Why you assume that it's gonna be a he?" Juan asks smiling.
"I don't know, let's just say that I have some motherly feelings." I say.
Then, his lips unite with mine, sealing our agreement forever. Surely, we're the most distorted parents, but, after all, love will solve any problem that will come in our way. And, a thing I know for sure, both me and Juan will love the bundle of joy that's now happily growing in my womb.

I look at Juan as I'm pushing my maid cart down the hallway. He's glimmering in a way that I haven't seen him till now. All I can think about is that his state is the result after hearing the news about my pregnancy, but I can't completely forget the fact that inside my maid apron, wrapped carefully in a cloth, are twenty diamonds worth over 100,000€.
We both agreed that it's a sign from God and we quickly took the diamonds after we spent several minutes kissing each other and trying not to have sex in that room, as Rodrigo advised us. None of us have even the slightest idea why a married couple with two kids might hide diamonds in a teddy bear, but we couldn't care less. This is an extra reward that's going to help us go on that trip to Tokyo sooner than we expected.
"We have two suites left." Juan tells me while acting like he's looking for a room to leave the luggages that he's carrying after him. "I think I can go to the one in the far right wing and you can take the one that's closer."
"Okay." I say.
"We meet at the elevator." Juan says smiling. "How about who'll find the necklace first receives a prize from the other one?"
"Sounds good to me." I laugh. "But, careful, Juan I'm hard to please."
"I know." he says. "But, I'm ready for it."
He kisses me shortly, then he disappears on the corridor that goes to the right wing. Meanwhile, I'm pushing the cart to my suite, trying not to get distracted and think too much about his surprise prize.
But, what if the necklace isn't in my suite and it's in his? What am I supposed to give him? This leaves me clueless. I always feared for the fact that his birthday is approaching and I have no idea what to get him, but the fact that I might be forced to think of a prize on the spot makes me feel even worse.
I slide the card and open the door, praying that the marked luggages to be here. To my relief, there are some things spread across the room, and nothing indicates me that these guys came here with a hoard of kids. So, it's a good start.
"Gloria are you in there?" a voice shouts from the hallway, making my blood freeze.
"Yes." I say getting in the bathroom.
"Fine!" the woman says. "I'll need you on the first floor at room 102, that huge ass malamute peed the carpet. Finish here quickly and come help me with the beast."
"Yes." I reply, trying to sound as neutral as possible.
I don't know who's Gloria, but surely she'll have to give some explanations in a few hours. A thing is clear though, I don't have much time and I need to move faster.
So, I wait for the other woman to take the elevator, then I get out of the bathroom and start looking for these people's luggages.
There are four Louis Vuitton huge trunks in the dressing, but I can't see the tags anywhere.
"Fuck!" I whisper.
"I got it!" Juan laughs in my earphone.
This is going to be interesting, because in a few hours, when we'll be out of here, I'll have to think of a prize for Juan.
"Congratulations, mi amor." I whisper in the hidden microphone. "You'll get your prize later."
He laughs and I roll my eyes. I can't believe how lucky is this man.
"I'll see you at the elevator, mi amor." he says joyfully then he closes the transmitter.
I should be happy that we got the necklace and our mission is almost done. But, our bet stresses me, as I have no idea what should I do. Maybe some sex is a prize big enough for him.
I'm so absorbed by my thoughts that I don't even notice the woman mopping the floor when I get out of the room, and accidentally push my cart over her bucket and cleaning products.
"Shit!" I say. "I'm so sorry."
"Can't you watch where your pushing that cart, goddamnit!" she says.
I think time stops and I can't feel anything else other than a rush of adrenaline and panic traveling through my entire body. This is the voice of all the fears that I have inside.
"Silene?" she asks visibly shocked while turning around.
I have no idea what the fuck am I supposed to do or say, so I just remain there and look at the person that scares me more than a loaded gun aimed at me — my mother.
My instincts are yelling at me that I should run or do something, but my body is unresponsive to the fear impulses. I'm standing like a statue in the middle of the hallway while my mother is covering her mouth with her hand, trying not to cry.
This is the worst reunion that I could've ever imagined. And I don't think that this is the universe laughing in my face for being so stupid and thinking that I'll never see her again, or simply my punishment for stealing those diamonds from the teddy bear. No matter what it is, truth is that my mother is crying and I really have to do something until that woman who called me later will come back looking for Gloria and she'll realize everything.
"Yes." I reply with my voice shaking.
But I don't get to say anything as my mother catches me in a tight embrace.
"I can't believe." she says through tears. "You're here."
Shit. This is the worst thing that could've happened and I don't have even the slightest idea of how should I get out of this situation.
"How comes that you're here?" she asks in a happy voice.
Yeah, good question.
"I came here for a... a job." I stutter. "This is my first day. It's like a... a trial, see if they'll give me the job or not."
"Finally!" she exclaims. "Thanks God you realized that music isn't a career. It took you a while though."
"Yes." I say trying not to roll my eyes.
"Well, now that you're finally back and you have more brain in that head, we should talk about something more important." she says. "What happened with you in the last couple of months? I've been worried sick! You weren't replying at your phone and I left you plenty of messages."
"I was busy." I'm trying to sound as innocent as possible. "And I lost my phone. That's why I haven't seen your messages."
She looks at me like she's trying t sniff the lie, but in the end her features soften and smiles.
"Here." my mom hands me a card. "Here's my phone number in case you forgot it."
I take the card and let it fall in my apron over the carefully packed diamonds.
"Thanks." I say. "I'll call you. Now, I have to get back to work."
"No, no." she grabs my hand. "Where are you going? I can talk with your boss and ask her to give you a break, so we can stay and discuss more. Dear God, Silene, you have no idea how worried I've been."
"Mom, that's nice of you, but I can't stay." I reply agitated. "As much as I'd want us to talk, I have to be sure I'm making a good first impression."
This discussion makes me feel really uncomfortable. Besides the fact that I'm trying to act normal with the person that made me have almost all the issues that ever existed, I also have to run out of this goddamn hotel until the cameras will start recording again.
"Then, if you're back in Madrid, you should come visit me." she says. "Silene, it's been ten years since I saw you, don't you think that's been enough and it's time to get over our differences. I know I've made mistakes in the past, but who doesn't? Now, I'm open to us and I wish I could fix the past, but I can't do anything other than try to be better now."
I don't know from where she learned these texts, but I'm not buying this new attitude. The last time we talked she screamed at me to leave the goddamn music and get a decent job. Maybe, she can act a bit better now because she saw that I'm finally looking for a decent job according to her own perception.
"I don't know, mom." I reply. "I'm being quite busy these days and I can't promise you anything."
"Silene?" Juan voice interrupts us.
In the moment when I've seen my mother, I immediately turned of the headphone, thing that probably panicked Juan really bad and brought him till here to see what's going on.
I turn to look at him and, finally, my mother releases my hand.
"They need you downstairs." he says in a serious voice.
"Oh, making friends already?" my mother intrudes as always.
Thanks God she didn't asked me who's this handsome guy, but, by looking at her, I'm pretty sure she's thinking about it.
"We're not friends." I tell her, then I take my cart and get ready to follow Juan to the elevator. "I'm sorry, but I have to go."
"Yes, my dear." she says and I feel like I'm about to throw up. "Take care and please call me as soon as you can."
I always hated when she acted all nice when other people were around.
"I will, mom." I'm looking desperate at Juan who seems like he's having a shock. "Bye!"
My mother waves at us while we get in the elevator. Only when the doors close after us, I can finally let out a relived sigh. That was it, the hardest day at work ever.