{11}As Long As I'm By Your Side

☕Chapter 11☕
As Long As I'm By Your Side

        Days turned into weeks of physical therapy and check ups, Sonia's estimated time to ditch the wheelchair was coming. That was their main focus now. Getting her out of that wheelchair. Sonia could stand, for at least ten to twenty minutes and that was enough for her to shower by herself.
She still needed Ezra or Sun (even though she's not comfortable with him being in the bathroom with her) to wait for her to finish and help her out the shower. She didn't need help doing the number one or two. They installed rails to help her sit or stand up. At least she's improving and improvement is good, right? But it wasn't enough...

So there they were, on the outside deck at the back, iron rails set up so she could practice to walk again, and again, and again. It was embarrassing, being a woman as old as her learning how to walk again. Of course accidents happen, but this took inconvenient and 'This could've been avoided' to a whole new level.
She had her hands on the rail, gripping them tightly as she looked over to Sun who stood five feet away from her with a small smile of encouragement on his face. Wow, he played his part well. She thought.
"You can do this." He reassured.
She closed her eyes, letting his words sink in.

She took tiny steps, leaning side to side as she held on to the rails for dear life, casting her eyes down to her feet every once in a while.

"Hey, hey!" He clapped his hands to get her attention. "Keep your eyes on me, look at nothing but me. Okay?"
She stared into his jet black eyes, nodding before taking a deep breath and closed her eyes before starting again.

"Sonia, where do you think you're going?"

If she wasn't mistaken, she could've sworn she saw Amari standing before her. Her chest tightened, making it hard for her to breathe.

"You really wanna leave after all we've been through?!"

He rushed up to her and tried to grab her and she fell back in a panic.

Sun caught her and held her in his arms as she tried to put up a fight.
"No! Get away! Don't touch me!"
"Hey, hey.. Sonia. It's me. Relax." Sun said in a soothing tone.
Tears started running down her sweaty face as she spoke. "We've been at this for a week now, there's no progress. None at all." She complained.
"Sonia, everything takes-"
"EvErYtHiNg TaKeS tImE.. It's so easy to say that, right? I'll never walk again, my life is over!"
"Hey, Sonia." He made her look at him, "Don't say that. Don't you ever say that." He said sternly bit still managed to sound concerned, "With every breath of my body, I'll have you walking again, you hear me?" He was so close to her that everytime her chest rose with every breath, her chest meets his.
He leaned her head on his chest, "It's okay." He said, his breath against her forehead.

She managed to calm down and go to sleep eventually..

Her eyes fluttered open to the smell of green tea and French toast. She sat herself up on the couch, the sheet over her legs hanging off the end.
What happened..? She asked herself and immediately remembered.
"I freaked out, didn't I?"
"Just a little." Sun entered the room with a tray in his hands.
"Hey, you're still here. It's after working hours.."
"Ezra is running a bit late, so I'll leave as soon as she comes.." He replied.
"You should eat.. you've been sleeping almost all day."
"Yeah... I will." She blew on the tea before taking a sip.

"I'm sorry.. looking back, I sounded so childish and selfish." She chuckled as her eyes began to tear up.
"It's okay.. You're frustrated, I understand. That's why I'm here, to listen and to help." He rubbed her back and tried her eyes.

"Thanks. The toast tastes good."
He chuckled, looking out the window.
"Looks like your bestie is here." He said, getting up and grabbing his bag.
"Oh- Sun?" She called out.
"Yeah?"
"I.. um. T- thanks.. for everything."
"Sure. You're welcome. It's my job to make sure that you're taken care of." He smiled at her, "Good night." He said once more before disappearing behind the door.

It felt good, his arms around her. He held her like he cared, really cared♡