8- itsy bitsy spiders

GUYS

IM SORRY

THIS HASNT BEEN UPDATED IN SO LONG

I DIDNT MEAN TO LEAVE IT SITTING HERE

AND NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, SOME OF MY OTHER BOOKS HAVENT BEEN TOUCHED, EITHER.

YEAH UH

SRRY

HERE YOU GO-

-------

-a week later-

"here come the spiders! up, up, up they go~!" you giggled, tickling alois' stomach with a goofy smile.

"h-hey, stop that! it feels like real spiders!"

"oh, dont be such a wuss! im just playing with you!"

your father peeked around the corner from the kitchen, catching the little tickling game you and alois were involved in, going back and forth, messing with each other before he finally spoke. "kids, dinner's ready. go sit down at the table."

doing as instructed, you lifted alois into your arms and carried him to the dining room, plopping the orange-haired boy into his seat with pout. for one reason or another, he had stopped eating recently, or at least he lacked the will to eat. neither you or your father could figure it out, but you left it at a guess that maybe he just hasn't had much of an appetite lately, (either that, or he's sneaking snacks in before meals).

"so, how's your job going so far?" dad asked, setting down a pot of chili in the center of the table, not bothering to take off his stained blue apron. "have you done anything dangerous yet?"

"not really. i've been appointed as the bosses personal chef, and apart of that role comes my duty to keep his elite guard fed, as well. it's nothing too hard, but i can tell they're starting to get picky with the broad options of food theyre given."

alois lazily stared at his bowl of chili that you poured for him, hands pressed flat on the table as he glared at the meal, possibly wishing for it to go away. "who were the two guys that took you away? were they mean to you?"

"oh, certainly not! theyre just two of the people that i have to feed, and i think theyre very nice... however, i do catch the one with the orange hair, squalo, glaring at me from time to time, but i just think that's how he looks." you laughed.

the rest of dinner with your family remained entertained by small talk, asking how alois was doing in school, and discussing possible places to move, as your father wanted alois in a more friendly environment. no, it wasnt that your neighborhood wasnt friendly, its just that it was more on the shady side, and didnt have much kids his age.

"oh, me and dad also went to the port the other day!" alois blurted, standing on his chair. "we ran into some fishermen, too, and they showed me all the fish they caught! there was a super big one, and a box full of small ones, and even one that looked like a cake! i tried asking if i could get it for you, but they told me we couldnt buy any since it was a 'shipment'."

"a fish that looked like cake?" you repeated, tilting your head. "why would you want to get me that?"

"because it reminded him of the strawberry cake you would make for him on weekends, honey. im sure he misses those days now with you gone all the time, doing one thing or another to fix our mistake."

your twisted your head to face your father, who was sitting right across from you with a sunken-in face. it seemed he hadn't been getting much sleep lately, from what you could tell. "dont group yourself in with mom, you had nothing to do with it. im sorry you had to go through her antics twice before she finally left."

"yeah... if Grace was just honest with what she was doing all those times she left, before we even conceived you, maybe we couldve worked something out.  she didnt even try to explain herself or what happened, she just packed her stuff and left, that bit-"

"dad, not in front of alois."

"...right, sorry. how about we lighten the mood, yes? lets watch a movie together like we used to."

alois scrambled off his chair, waddling over to you with the brightest, happiest grin on his face. "yea, sis! come watch a show with us!"

sharply sucking air through clenched teeth, you checked your watch, cringing when you saw the time. "oh, god, im so sorry, but i cant. doppio wants me back in half an hour for work, and i can't even begin to describe how livid he gets when im late for anything."

you watched as alois' joyful expression slowly turned to one of disappointment, the small hand that once gripped yours with hope loosening till it was merely draped over your palm. "...oh, thats ok. i dont want your boss getting mad at you because of me, but i just thought we could-"

"i know, alois, and im sorry i cant watch peter pan with you for the thirty-fifth time, but how about we make that strawberry cake next time i visit, yeah? will that cheer you up?"

he sprung up with excitement once more, smiling widely as he bounced on the tips of his toes. "really? youll make a cake with me?"

"of course! but you have to promise to eat more of dads food and tell him how good it is, and if i hear you've been bad while im gone, then ill make one giant cake for myself and leave none for you!" you giggled, poking his nose with the tip of your finger.

"fineee, but only because i want that cake!"

"im sure that's the only thing on your mind. come on, lets help dad do the dishes and ill give you a bath, ok?"

"yes!" he cheered, running off to the kitchen with a single fork in hand in hopes of washing it well. "can bernie take a bath with me, too?"

"sure. like i said, i have to go back to work soon, so if you dont hurry with the dishes, then i cant give you a bath."

alois hurriedly bolted out of the kitchen after washing off the fork, climbing onto a chair beside your father and snatching the ladle out of his hand with a panicked huff, only to run back to the sink in a mad dash. 

the way he puffed his cheeks with determination set your heart aflutter, your warm (e/c) eyes watching as he scrubbed each bowl and piece of silverware with great diligence. it hurt your heart seeing him working so hard just for some quality time with you, the sister that was supposed to always be there for him no matter the time or cause.

after all, it was as your father always said:

'its just you and him against the world.'