Untitled Part 5

Chapter5

Altar's boots made an obnoxiousracket as he continued pacing across the stone floor. Nephthys'temple was old, and despite the incense and torches burning aroundthe dais, the sun streaming through the sky lights it still felt coldand empty, maybe because other than Finn and Altar and the stone, itwas empty.

"How's everything going? WithGyllian and Leo?" Finn hadn't been able to keep as attentive eyeon either of them as he would have liked over the last few weeks andhoped that it going smoothly. He had enough on his plate withouthaving to monitor them more.

Alt gave some sort of noncommittalshrug. "Fine I guess. She's not around much."

"What do you mean not around much?" What was he paying her for if she wasn't readily available?

"If she isn't actively keeping aneye on Leo she sort of disappears. Comes back when needed, Leo andher text a lot. Whatever system they've established seems to beworking for both of them. Gyllian hasn't asked Jess or I to covermuch so I'm not going to bitch about it."

"Have you given her the impressionshe can't ask either of you to help." Finn accused.

Altar smirked. "Well... we do enjoyour down time, or did until Leo kinda fucked that up. I think shewas of the mind it was easier to do herself than wait for Jess or Ito make ourselves available."

"Make yourselves more available. Idon't know her well enough yet to feel comfortable leaving her orLeo to their own devices for long."

Alt nodded, but mumbled somethingabout being treated like a slave under his breath.

"Speaking of, how many do we haveleft?" Finn asked.

Alt grumbled but dug a note pad out ofhis pocket and flipped through it. "With Leo out, that's...everyone." He blinked, surprised. "The dungeons should beempty. Well thank the gods we can cross that little projectoff our list then." He laughed a little. "I'd pay big moneyto see the look on his face when he realizes what you've done.

"Orius never bothers setting foot inthe dungeons, I'll bet it you it'll be years before heactually figures it out."

Finn had always found it a bitabhorrent, keeping slaves, especially as royalty, so he'd slowlymanaged to free every single one of them. Leo hadn't been on thelist, too dangerous, until now.

"What's on our docket after this?" It was a good thing Altar was reasonably organized, or Finnwouldn't know which was up half the time. He often thought aboutgetting some sort of official assistant but somehow he managed justfine without one.

"Jess is handling the militarybriefings this morning then checking on the court register for anycrimes or sentences that need your attention..." Alt pulled outhis phone, either checking messages, or his calendar. "A couplemeetings with the heads of the charities your mother started, and youshould put in an appearance in town at some point soon."

"So a long day then huh?" Finnrubbed his temples. It had been a long few weeks already, he feltmuch busier of late than he had in a long time. He glanced at hiswatch, they'd been waiting here over an hour already. "Goddesseslike to take their time don't they?"

"This is bullshit Finn." Altgrumbled for the dozenth time. "Orius is king for fuck's sake,this is his responsibility."

Finn snorted. Alt wasn't wrong. "Well I don't see him here do you? Better the prince thannothing at all." It wasn't the first time Finn had to pick upthe slack, it wouldn't be the last. For years now Finn had beenrunning the Court in all but name. King Orius didn't dofuck all other than flaunt his title, glad hand foreign dignitariesand flirt with Queen Asirelia of the Seelie Court. Finn in allreality ran the Court yet he had the 'play boy' and 'lazy'reputation.