american spirit's

june 1st, 1987

seattle, washington

"you're sure you aren't gonna burn the house down?"

"have a little faith, chris."

"the way you're waving that knife around isn't really helping your case."

"would you both just shut up for once," molly said, turning away from the kitchen counter to the two boys behind her, sitting at the island.

they both leaned back, looking wide eyed at the sharp blade she gripped in her hand.

molly put the knife down on the counter, hard.

"if you know everything about chopping onions, why don't you fucking do it andy?" she said, gesturing to the cutting board.

the blonde raised his hands in the air, "i'm gonna leave that one to you."

the girl let out a "hmph," turning around, going back to cutting vegetables.

the three sat in a comfortable silence, the meat puppets' up on the sun playing softly in background.

"alright, this is lame as hell, i'm heading out to the liquor store, you guys want anything?" andy asked after a minute of watching molly cook.

"get me a bottle of white wine, whatever's cheapest," the girl told him over her shoulder.

"wine? are you sixteen again?"

"i need it for the pasta, andy" molly said, exasperated.

he raised both hands in the air, "alright, alright. is that all?"

"bleach and kool-aid."

"bleach? are you cleaning?"

"for hair," molly groaned, turning around, "do you need to ask so many questions?"

andy massaged his temple, "no. i guess not," he sighed, "is that all, your highness?"

"oh, can you get me a pack of american spirit menthol's? pretty please?" she asked with a smile.

"yeah, yeah, whatever. keys, chris?"

"table by the door," he spoke from where he rested his head on the island's surface.

"don't burn the place down before i get back," he called, slamming the door behind him.

molly rolled her eyes, finally turning back to the cutting board.

"american spirit's?"

molly paused, setting the knife down.

"what?" she said, turning around once again.

"american spirit's," chris repeated "not malrboro red's?"

"what are you talking about christopher?"

he stood up, pushing the chair backwards, "you always get red's. you told me you fucking hate menthols. why are you switching up all of a sudden?"

"so, i wanna change things up a little? it's not that big of a deal."

"but it is, molly," he said, stepping around the island.

as he made his way in front of her, molly took a step back, now trapped between chris and the counter.

they hadn't been this close since she kissed him, molly realized.

they hadn't even been alone together since then.

because they hadn't talked about it, for the last three days molly had had a lingering question in the back of her head; had she ruined their friendship?

their eyes met, chris' searching.

"that's all she smoked," molly said softly after a minute, "american spirit menthol's. i- i used to hate them cause they reminded me of her, but now..."

she paused, looking at the floor.

"now that's all i want."

she didn't have to say anything else. chris understood. strange as it may be, molly had to cope with her mother's death somehow.

chris brought her in for a hug, his warmth enveloping her as she sagged into him.

"i'm sorry i kissed you," she whispered into his hair.

"you don't have to apologize, star. i understand why you did. at least- i think i do. you confuse the fuck outta me sometimes."

molly let out a chuckle, squeezing him tighter.

"promise me it won't change anything. promise me-" she pulled back, meeting his eyes again, "promise me you'll still be my best friend."

"of course star," he said, holding her head between his hands.

"now what the fuck are you making?"

hey guys! i know this one is short, but it's kinda just a filler chapter. hopefully i'll have another couple chapters done by next week. as always, i hope you enjoyed, drop a comment and/or vote if you want! have a great day/afternoon/night :)