Walking Home

Jung Hwan kicked at the dirt outside the study room as he leaned against the wall, waiting for Deok Sun.

It was midnight, and they had agreed to walk home together after studying. But what if she had fallen asleep yet again?

Jung Hwan tsked and kicked at the dirt again impatiently, his hands in his pockets. Should he pretend to be her brother to go check on her?

Suddenly he felt a hand link through his arm, and he turned to see an out-of-breath Deok Sun by his side.

"Sorry," she wheezed, "I lost track of time."

He grabbed her hand and squeezed it, "It's okay, I was just worried that you'd fallen asleep."

She shook her head as they started to walk home hand in hand. "No, I don't fall asleep now, I'm really studying."

"Really?" he looked at her incredulously, and she bumped him with her shoulder.

"Don't look so surprised," she pouted, "I've been getting help from our class president. I felt so bad for my mom when my teacher said a four-year college was out of reach for me. So I'm really doing my best now."

Jung Hwan softened, "That's good then. I'm really proud of you."

Deok Sun beamed up at him and started to swing their arms as they walked.

As they turned a corner, Jung Hwan broke the silence and said, "You know, Deok Sun, I really think you can achieve anything you put your mind to. No matter what you do, I'll always support you, okay?"

They turned into their street and Deok Sun smiled up at him. "I know, and I'll always support you too," she said, tilting her head up to him. That was his cue to dip his head down to give her a quick peck in the lips. She smiled, then they turned to walk home, but suddenly stopped in their tracks.

For right in front of them, standing in front of the gate, were Sun Woo and Bora, locked in an embrace.

The two pairs stared at each other, then slowly Deok Sun and Jung Hwan let go of each other's hand while Bora and Sun Woo dropped their arms to their sides.

They stood there awkwardly, staring at each other, when Deok Sun suddenly faced her sister and declared, "We won't tell if you won't."

Bora stared at the two of them, looked at Sun Woo, then nodded. "Okay."

"Hey Jung Hwan," Sun Woo gestured at him, and the two huddled together as the sisters watched and wondered what was going on. "Okay," the two boys broke their huddle and bumped shoulders.

Jung Hwan then grabbed Deok Sun's hand and led her back into the street where they had passed, while Sun Woo took Bora to the other end of the street.

"What was that about?" Deok Sun asked curiously as Jung Hwan leaned her against the wall.

"This is where we say goodbye," he said, before leaning in for a kiss. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back as she felt his hands on her waist.

They kissed for a bit more, saying good night in between kisses, but still coming back for more. Finally Deok Sun giggled and placed her hands on Jung Hwan's chest, "We really need to go home now."

He gave her one last kiss, then reluctantly let her go. She reached for his hand but he shook his head, "Nothing on our street." She looked at him wide-eyed, "Oooohh that's smart."

Jung Hwan stuffed his hands in his pockets as he and Deok Sun entered their street, and they saw Bora and Sun Woo emerging from the other end, walking closely without touching as well. In silence, they all let themselves into their homes to settle in for the night.

Deok Sun and Bora got ready for bed then lay under the covers, each lying on their side, facing the opposite way.

"Bora?" Deok Sun whispered, wondering if her sister was still awake.

"Mmm," Bora grunted in reply.

"You look happy," Deok Sun whispered.

Bora's lips curved into a smile. "So do you," she whispered back, and Deok Sun smiled happily.

And so Deok Sun, Bora, Jung Hwan, and Sun Woo all fell asleep that night with a smile on their faces.