First Date

It was surprisingly easy to act normal around the guys.

Jung Hwan and Deok Sun kept up their usual banter. He teased her, she scowled at him. They didn't make it a point to sit together all the time, lest someone notice something unusual between them. It was almost as if nothing was going on.

But then they would catch each other's eye across the room, and he would give her his signature smirk, which she returned with a knowing smile. It was always a fleeting glance, too quick for anyone to catch, but long enough to reassure them both that yes, something was going on between them.

It's just that life was moving along as usual. They were still busy with school, what with college entrance exams coming up. They had their own little day-to-day dramas going on, just like now: Dong Ryo had run away on his birthday and they were now crammed in Bora's car, driving off to get him.

Sun Woo sat in the passenger's seat beside Bora, while Deok Sun sat between Jung Hwan and Taek in the backseat. Taek hardly noticed how Deok Sun shifted her weight so she sat slightly closer to Jung Hwan.

She kept her right hand on the seat, pressing against the side of her thigh. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Jung Hwan casually put his hand on his left knee as he stared out the window. She held her breath as she watched his hand slide slowly down to the seat, landing right beside her hand. Without looking at her, he brushed his pinky finger against her thumb, sending sparks up her arm. She tried to hide her smile as she reciprocated by brushing the side of her hand against his, then almost jolted as he hooked her thumb with his pinky.

"Hey." Deok Sun startled and saw that Bora was looking at her at the rear view mirror. "Why are you smiling?" Bora asked suspiciously.

Deok Sun scowled at her sister, "What, I'm not allowed to smile now?"  She made a face at her, and Bora tsked as she turned her eyes back to the road. Jung Hwan stifled a smile then covered Deok Sun's hand with his. She elbowed him and gestured at Taek, but Jung Hwan just shook his head and squeezed her hand. Taek was completely oblivious to the flirtation that was happening right beside him.

They spent the rest of the car ride hand in hand, then it was back to normal as they went off to find Dong Ryo and convince him to come home.

When they finally succeeded and were about to pile back into Bora's car, Bora did a quick headcount then declared, "We won't fit. Someone has to stay behind."

Deok Sun and Jung Hwan quickly glanced at each other and Deok Sun immediately said, "Me! I'll stay behind!" She began to run around them in circles, "Woohoo! I get to stay behind!"

Jung Hwan tried to look nonchalant as he said to Bora, "I'll stay and make sure she gets home safely." Bora studied him closely, and Jung Hwan also felt Sun Woo's eyes on him. Jung Hwan held his breath, until finally Bora said, "Okay. You're in charge, Jung Hwan. Just take the bus home with Deok Sun." He nodded, then he and Deok Sun waved as the rest of the gang drove off.

Deok Sun waited until Bora's car was completely gone from their view, then she wrapped her arms around Jung Hwan. "Finally!!!" she exclaimed, hugging him as tightly as she could. "Oww," he complained as he wrapped his arms tightly around her and planted a kiss on her head. "Let's eat, I'm starving!"

Jung Hwan and Deok Sun spent the rest of the day like any normal couple, eating, chatting, laughing. They made their way down to the beach where they walked hand in hand and talked animatedly. Jung Hwan was usually quiet and serious, but being with Deok Sun like this made him come alive. He felt alive whenever he was with her.

Finally, they sat on the shore and took of their shoes, digging their toes in the sand as they watched the sun set over the horizon.

"Hey, Jung Hwan," Deok Sun said.

"Hmm?" he asked as he squinted at the sky.

"When did you realize that you liked me?" she turned to him with interest.

"Guess," he said, smiling as he watched her really thinking about it.

"At that concert we went to, the one where we took a photo," she guessed, and he shook his head.

"When you gave me the mittens!" she guessed again, and he shook his head again.

"At the alleyway," he said, putting her out of her misery.

"But that was just--" Deok Sun looked at him wide-eyed, "The alleyway LAST YEAR?? You've liked me for a year??"

Jung Hwan shrugged, his signature smirk playing on his lips. "What about you, when did you realize you liked me?"

Deok Sun bit her lip and thought hard, then said, "On the bus."

Jung Hwan laughed, "The ride when you tore my shirt open?!"

Deok Sun turned a deep red as she slapped his arm and said in embarrassment, "No! I didn't mean to do that!"

Jung Hwan ruffled her hair affectionately then asked, "So which ride? We've ridden the bus together a thousand times."

Deok Sun looked at him, "The one where you stood behind me so I wouldn't get jostled around." Jung Hwan smiled softly at the memory, "Ah, yes."

"My heart fluttered for you for the first time then because I felt safe with you. You've always made me feel safe," Deok Sun said, then smiled as Jung Hwan leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"You'll always be safe with me," Jung Hwan promised, and she nodded. He wrapped an arm around her and she leaned against his shoulder, and together they watched the sun slowly disappear beyond the horizon and the stars come out one by one, ready to guide them on their way home.