Chapter Eighteen

News that her friend had been locked in a tower, diagnosed of being insane was not welcome news at eight o'clock in the morning. With all that had occurred over the past days, Aglaesha had hoped to finally have a break. When Nathair came to deliver the grave revelation, she had almost vomited. Her father had attempted to comfort her, but she would have none of it. Aglaesha ordered him to leave her chambers immediately and summon the prince to her. Her father had tried to tell her that a mere woman could not just summon the Crown Prince of Maidora, but he seemed convinced to follow her orders when she had shrieked,

"I AM HIS FUTURE WIFE!"

While she waited for Con to arrive, she dressed into a yolk-orange gossamer gown and braided and un-braided her hair. Her hands were sweaty with fear and she paced round and round her bedroom. Her mind was spinning. He is not mad. Brilyn is not mad. Brilyn Cstorm is not mad! Aglaesha couldn't sit still. Puzzle pieces floated around her head, but none of them connected together. She could barely breathe when the door to her chambers opened.

Conlaed was pale, his eyes shadowed. "Are you alright?"

Aglaesha ran into his outstretched arms. Conlaed kissed her forehead gently. She clung to him, intent on never letting go- anger would not stop her from touching him today. Con stroked her back soothingly. "Everything is going to be okay."

Aglaesha faced her prince with eyes filled with tears. "Bri isn't mad!"

"I know, Aglaesha. I know. I am going to get him out."

She clutched him tighter. "How? How, Con?"

He flushed slightly. The Mage cupped his cheek. "Tell me, Conlaed. How are we going to get him out? Everyone thinks he is insane!"

Her prince let her go. He was frowning slightly. Conlaed was staring at his feet.

"I am going to save him."

Aglaesha sighed, becoming frustrated. "Yes, but how?"

Con did not answer for a long time. He stared into space blankly. When she followed his gaze, she discovered he was staring through her window at the North Tower of the castle wall. One of the old defence towers. It snapped together.

"Brilyn's trapped in the West Tower..."

They finished the sentence in unison, but with different endings.

"The place the Fey appeared."

"The old prison towers."

The couple both stared at each other. Conlaed cleared his throat awkwardly as he explained, "Maybe the Fey has something to do with it - the West wall is where the Fey first appeared. When I talked with it yesterday, it was frustrated that Hanrick was still alive. Perhaps it got Brilyn locked up to move me along faster?"

Aglaesha choked. "You saw the Fey yesterday?"

Con smiled apologetically. "I would have told you if I had known where you ran off to."

There was a tinge of bitterness in his tone. Aglaesha frowned. "So, I'm not allowed to ditch you one time? Do you realize that you left me alone for two months, Conlaed?"

He scoffed. "I am so sorry that I thought my father died!"

They glared at one another, eyes burning with fury. Aglaesha snarled, "What did the Fey do?" Conlaed's face went bright red. The Mage smirked. "What did it do?"

"Well," he explained, "I was having a bath and Jules had gone to fetch towels, then all the candles went out for a moment. Then, they were aflame once more - except it was jade flame. Then the Fey appeared."