Chapter Fifteen

Zoysia was frowning. Her stormy eyes were filled with confused concern. Aglaesha held her breath. Another moment of silence passed, before Zoysia said, "You are certain he meant that? He may have been delirious."

"I do not believe he was delirious; out of sorts, yes - but he was injured. Why would he mouth that if he did not mean it?"

"Because he was delirious." Zoysia was shaking her head. She glanced around again. The other Mage sighed. "No one can hear us, Zoysia."

She shook her head and turned on Aglaesha, eyes unusually dark. Her voice was hushed as she growled, "Does Conlaed know of it?"

Aglaesha shook her head guiltily. Her friend sighed and rubbed her face. Dark shadows hung beneath her eyes like cobwebs. Zoysia rubbed her eyes again, groaning. Her voice was stony and weary as she snarled, "What do you expect me to do? Spy on the Fox?"

"Yes, kind of. I need you spy on Jarete and Brilyn. If Bri's in danger I want to know about it." Zoysia nodded contemplatively. She rubbed her face once more. Her fingers ran through her curls anxiously. Her voice was shaky as she replied, "I will spy because Brilyn is my friend. Alas, if we are wrong and I get caught..."

"You never get caught, Zoysia."

Aglaesha grinned confidently and clasped her friend's shoulder. Zoysia smiled wickedly. "No, I suppose I don't."

***

Aglaesha watched Zoysia transform into a ghastly crow. She smiled gratefully as the shifter leapt into the air and disappeared into the distance, caws echoing on the winds. If she hadn't felt sick to her stomach she would have shifted into her bluebird and sailed the winds herself. Aglaesha had much on her mind. Lorrie, Conlaed, Brilyn and now Zoysia. She prayed her friend was careful; if Zoysia were captured, Aglaesha would not know what to do. The very thought roiled her stomach.

Aglaesha hurried through the Diamond House, desperate for the first time in her life, to return to Userra castle. Dark deeds and treachery were at play behind the tall walls and she had to get to the bottom of it. Everyone she loved was in danger if she did not succeed. So many enemies were closing in. She hoped Bri had been wrong about the Guardian. If he turned out to be wicked, all of Maidora was doomed - Fey are not killed easily. All the stories warned of their supposed immortality. Maidora is weak; we could not withstand an angry Fey-Mage. The very thought chilled her to the bone. It was the grim and ghastly truth. Although she was puzzled as to why the Guardian would endanger Brilyn. All her life, she had believed Jarete was a father figure to the poor boy. He had rescued Bri from poverty, educated, raised him by hand. All that indicated love. Why should the Fox have reason to endanger an innocent scholar? A mask can be a strong weapon.

Brilyn had never implied he was being mistreated by the Fox. She had never seen any visible inflictions upon him, nor any trauma. He had always seemed lovingly content, serene. He took upon others' hurts with no great care - the only time he had implied his struggles was a mere six hours ago. His words had stung with the truth Aglaesha had taught herself to shy away from. Still, it could have been his injuries affecting his usual kind and calm demeanour. The only other piece of evidence of the Guardian mistreating him was the occasions when Brilyn disappeared into his chambers for days at a time. He always returned drained, pale and sickly. Aglaesha had believed he had been merely ill. That is what I told myself. That is the lie I forced myself to believe when I was a selfish fool. Perhaps Bri was excellent at wearing masks.

She hoped not. So many in Userra castle wore painted masks. You had to if you wanted to thrive, if you wanted to survive. Her father wore a mask, the new king wore a mask, Queen Tenna wore a mask, Conlaed wore a mask now. Aglaesha had always thought her Brilyn would be the real one. She had believed he would always keep his face bare. Her friend was true and noble - if he wielded a sword with talent, he would have made the perfect knight. Maybe he wore a mask all along... and it was so refined it could not crack. The very consideration sickened her.