Chapter Twelve

"If Hanrick truly did this, I hope you kill him slowly."

"He did - I'm certain of it. No one else knows of the tattoo - he must have gotten it when he made the deal. He is on to me, Aglaesha. He knows I know the truth."

Aglaesha stared down at poor Brilyn, covered in bruises and a hideous scar-tattoo.

"Why wouldn't the Guardian tell you, then?" she asked gently. They were both distressed.

"He fears the King - he was trying to tell me to find Bri. I know it. Jarete's on our side. Besides, why would he want Brilyn to stay down there half dead? He's like Bri's father."

The Mage nodded. Bri's body was still littered with bruises and hurts. No matter how hard she tried to heal them, they would not budge. She and Con suspected magic had been involved somehow. An elixir to prevent her enchantments possibly. So much had happened - and now with Brilyn - she couldn't ignore the clear signs of the King's treachery.

When Con came to find her, she had been in her chamber writing a letter to Lorrie - she had much to warn him of, whether her father permitted her interference or not. She had been sealing the paper when the prince burst through the door. His emerald eyes were full of rage and fear and his hands were running through his hair like they always did when he was anxious. She had risen to her feet slowly, confused about Conlaed's mad demeanour. Aglaesha had been uncommonly bold at that moment. She had sidled up to her fiancé and scowled. Con had frozen then, trembling all over. The pair was silent for a while, until Conlaed rasped, "I think Brilyn's in danger. I think you're in danger."

He had explained how he found Bri in the strange crypt, and no sooner had the word left his mouth, Aglaesha had charged through the palace halls to her friend's rescue.

The very thought of what could have become of Brilyn if Conlaed hadn't discovered him was unthinkable. Whatever Hanrick was playing at, it was a dangerous game - one against a beloved prince and a high-skilled Mage. A game he would surely lose. Now that he struck out at Brilyn, that is. The attack on their friend was a wakeup call to the Fey's warning. Everything the creature claimed was coming into the light as true; is it possible that the Fey's motives had been honourable all along? There is so much evidence, so much logic in the claims. We would be fools not to believe the creature. The truth - or evidence, perhaps - unsettled her, but the thought of someone vile enough to attack an innocent scholar because of his friendship with the prince...it was despicable. Everyone in the castle knew how kind and gentle Brilyn Cstorm was. The guards of the Shield were protective as mother hens of Bri - even if they did give him a hard time, the maids all had eyes for him, the Mages adored the scholar, the lords respected him, and the stable boys were always friendly with him; Brilyn Cstorm had an army of people who would defend him and his honour. Aglaesha mused the idea of everyone in the castle rising up against the pig that seated himself on the throne.

"Will he... will he be alright?" Conlaed's voice shook. Aglaesha looked up from her patient, pale and worried. "I think so," she responded warily, "My magic still has no effect on him, but his hurts will heal - I am sure of it. In the meantime, I think he should stay here. It's not safe for him in the library, I fear."

Con nodded numbly and sat on the edge of Bri's bed - well, Con's bed. The two of them decided the prince's chambers were the best place to keep him. The only one, (besides Conlaed of course), who could enter the prince's chamber unchecked was his somber servant Jules. Anyway, Con could defend him better if someone came looking for the scholar perchance. It was unlikely, but they refused to take chances when it came to their best friend.

Aglaesha took one of Brilyn's limp hands in her own. It was warm and small in her own - the warmth was good sign, considering there was no sign of fever. She kissed the small hand gently and squeezed. She was so used to him squeezing back that it hurt. She faced Con anxiously. His eyes were locked on Brilyn's expressionless face. The prince released a rattled breath and took the boy's other hand. His voice was soft as he gasped, "This is all my fault."