Chapter 18 - Evil Uncle

Lexie

"Hi, I'm Lexie. One of Allison's friends. I was wondering if she was home. I think she might've grabbed my English textbook by accident," I beamed at her mother, 

"No, she's not home but you're welcome to look for it yourself," I was surprised they were so calm on letting me in to snoop in their house, but I guess they don't suspect me to be anything other than ordinary and oblivious to the supernatural in Beacon Hills. 

I still can't believe I was dragged into this, that as a result, I'm becoming a thief. I gave Mrs. Argent a quick smile before heading up to Allison's room. A room I had never even been in before. As I shut the door tightly behind me, I started hurrying around looking for the damn thing. In drawers, by her nightstand, in her bathroom. I went through her jewellery box and I still couldn't find it. 

It had been maybe like 10 minutes, and I didn't want to seem suspicious to Mrs. Argent, so I called Scott. "I can't find it," I groaned as I searched through a stack of papers on her desk, coming across a receipt for bowling. Her and Scott's first date, that's sweet, kinda made my heart ache a little. They both loved each other so much, they didn't deserve to go through this. 

"Have you checked her jewellery box?" he suggested and I couldn't help but scoff, 

"Of course I have, do you think I'm stupid?"

"Okay, okay I'm coming," he reassured me, but by the time he'd get here, Mrs Argent would get very suspicious for the amount of time I've been in her daughter's bedroom. 

"No, Scott, if I'm here any longe-," before I could finish my sentence, he appeared at the window. He needs to stop sneaking up on people, it's gonna give me a heart attack. I let him in, and he started looking around. 

"Lexie, have you found it?" I heard Allison's mother call up the stairs. I turned to Scott and shook my head, he was on his own. 

"Yeah, actually." I took out my english book from my backpack and held it as I left the room. "Good luck Scott," I whispered, well that was a big fail. Mrs. Argent smiled at me as she spotted the English book in my hands, 

"I'm glad you found it," she lead me to the door and I plastered on my fake smile, I was pretty good at lying. 

"Yeah, thanks for letting me in," 

"Of course anytime," and then she shut the door, well that was pleasant. I eyed Scott in Allison's window, he hadn't found it yet, but he knows Allison a lot better than I do, so he might have a better chance at finding it. 

***

At home, I was heading to my bedroom, but as I passed Lydia's, I heard her sniffling inside. I knocked quietly on the ajar door. I heard her immediately stop, and her voice came out croaky. "Go away!" I didn't listen and instead pushed the door open, squeezing my head through. 

"Lydia, hey are you okay?" she didn't look okay, her eyes were red and puffy, looking like she had been crying for hours. Something must've happened.

"I'm fine, now leave me alone," she begged, but she was my sister, and no matter how bad our relationship was, she still mattered to me. So, I stepped in and shut the door behind me before perching on her bed. 

"Lydia, what is it? What's wrong?" I really wanted her to open up to me, to bond with me. We haven't acted like proper sisters for years, not since we were little. 

"I said leave me alone. And besides, nothing is wrong, I'm fine, I'm perfect," she croaked, and then started sobbing. I shuffled over to her and wrapped my arms around her. She had her head in her hands, whatever happened, it must've been bad, because I've never seen Lydia cry like this.