Chapter Fifteen

I am so sorry for the wait! I had a lot of family and personal issues to deal with. Im back however! And I thank all of you who stuck with it.

“Come on, let’s head back to the hotel. We have a lot to talk about.” Lucas said gently, smoothing my hair down, and kissing my forehead.

I simply nodded and tried to keep my emotions from running haywire.

He was going to stay with me, through all of this. Through all my thoughts of fear, anger, and anxiousness, that one thought guided me through. Lucas, my Lucas, was going to be there with me.

I smiled up at him and he grabbed my hand to lead me back into Kale’s house. We kept silent until we reached the sitting area, where Kale was still sipping his tea. We made eye contact and I smiled, trying to say thank you to him. His eyes shone and a knowing smile spread across his face.

“You’re welcome, my dear. Now, I believe we have all had enough excitement for one day. You two have much to discuss. Now go, and come back tomorrow and we shall begin the preparations.” He said, while standing up. I felt a shiver of fear run across my body at thought of preparing for my almost-death.

Lucas squeezed my hand tighter, obviously sensing my distress.

I squeezed his hand back, and took a deep breath. After this, it would all be okay. Everything would all be okay and I would have my Lucas with me.

Kale embraced us both in hugs and gave us some tea leaves, for my nerves he said. We thanked him and made our way to Lucas’s car. We fell into a comfortable silence during the car ride. Both of us were too deep in our own thoughts to make any worthwhile conversation.

Before I even realized it, we were parked at the hotel and Lucas was opening my door. I smiled at him and took the hand he offered. I felt tingles erupt up my arm. It made me smile even wider and I leaned into Lucas, wanting more contact with him. He made me feel so loved and protected. They were foreign feelings to me, but I already depended on them. That slightly scared me, that I already needed him to deeply, but as I looked at him, my fear eased away. He was my mate and although I did not fully realize the extent of my love for him yet, I knew I would.

Neither of us made a move to remove our hands as we made our way up to our room, and once we were inside, I still didn’t want to break the contact. I felt him loosen his hold on my hand and he pulled away. I tried to hide the disappointment on my face, but he must have seen it. He emptied his pockets of his wallet and keys and then suddenly wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me flush against him. I let out a squeak of surprise but let him hug my tightly.

“Hey, you know that I’m going to get you through this, right?” he asked. His mouth was right beside my ear and I felt his breath creep along my neck. I momentarily had a lapse of thought and couldn’t answer. All I could think about was how close we were and his breath on my skin. I took a breath and closed my eyes, trying to tamper down my hormones. I hoped to the Gods that it was this broken connection thing that was doing this to me.

Finally I was able to get out an answer. “Yes.” I breathed out. I felt him squeeze me tighter and I returned the gesture. Maybe… Just maybe, this all would work out. I would be okay, with Lucas.

After a few moments of simply hugging and enjoying being close to each other, he leaned back and looked at me. I looked up and he brushed a few stray pieces of hair away from my face. My eyes were drawn to his mouth. It was barely parted and I could hear his slightly labored breathing coming out of it. I moved, instinctively closer but stopped and looked at him. His hands were cupping my face and he looked at me, hesitating. I paused and then slowly leaned in to kiss him. Our mouths melded together so perfectly. I tried to step closer, to minimize any space between us at all. My lips tingled and my heart thundered in my chest.

Finally we broke apart and I looked up at him, breathing hard. His eyes were dilated and dark. He tore his gaze away and took a step back. “Umm… Are you uhh, are you hungry?” he asked. I laughed at his awkward attempt to calm himself down and change subjects. I nodded and took off my coat. He nodded and mumbled something about going to order room service.

I sat on the soft couch and closed my eyes briefly. I allowed myself to relax into the couch. It was so soft and I was so tired…

I jerked awake when I felt the couch dip beside me and an arm wrap around me. I sat up and looked around wildly. Then I noticed Lucas was beside me with a guilty look on his face. “I’m so sorry Amethyst. I just saw you and was going to sit by you… and I tried to put my arm around you.” He said, mumbling the second part. I forced myself to relax and smile at him. “It’s okay, Lucas.” I said and leaned into him, letting him putting his arm around me. I felt his body sag with relief and he shifted so I was leaning on him.

We sat in silence until Lucas said in a low voice, “Amethyst, we are going to be okay.” It was a statement, but I could sense an underlying question in it. I turned so my legs were across his and we were face to face. “I know we are. Kale is going to fix me, and we will be okay.” I said quietly before leaning to lay my head on his chest. His arms wrapped around me. I took comfort in how solid and warm he was.

“Are you scared?” he asked.

All I could do was nod. I was terrified. But how could I not go through with it? It was only fair.

Lucas gathered me up in his arms and settled me down again. I felt so small and secure. I sighed and nestled deeper in his arms. This was how it was supposed to be. I was sure of it.