Part 12

Stephen kept a close eye on Loki after Bruce had left, watching him prowl around, muttering to himself. He was like a caged animal, wounded, furious with everything.

'How many enemies does he have? The people I need to maim?' Loki asked suddenly.

'Most of them are gone,' Stephen answered.

'Wanda, who is this?'

Sitting back, Stephen rubbed his temples. 'She's a mutant, a human who was given abilities, magical ones. Years ago, she manipulated the Avengers to try and fight each other, invaded Tony's mind with her powers to show him his worst fears and make him act according to her will.'

Loki froze, face clearing for a moment.

'That was who he was speaking of. He spoke to me ages ago about one who manipulated his thoughts and decisions. I asked him if he had taken her life for such a crime, and he did not want to talk about it further.'

Stephen got to his feet as Loki's hands began to glow with magic.

'Where is she?' he hissed from clenched teeth.

'I'm not sure.'

'Do not lie to me,' Loki whirled to face him. 'You would let the one that harmed our love walk free? Who caused him mental anguish, who made even you furious at the mere mention of her name?'

'Tony wouldn't want you to harm her. He'd never see you again if you did.' He ran his hands up and down Loki's arms, trying to soothe.

'He has a fear of magic because of her. The very thing that is the core of our beings, Tony hates!' Loki spat, shoving at Stephen's chest, not in an attempt to move, but an outlet for his frustration.

'I know.' Stephen dragged him closer, tucking Loki's head under his neck and holding him steady until the anger abated. 'You're only seeing it from one way again. Even though he hates magic, he trusts us with it. It shows the depths of his feelings.'

Loki was rigid in his arms.

'Not only did she prey on his mind, he is doing the same thing! It feels as though we are not doing enough,' Loki sounded disgusted, even as he began to thaw in Stephen's hold.

'Remember, it's like you said, we can't make Tony aware and risk Nightmare knowing. Who knows what he'll do to him. I want to fight as much as you do.' He moved back, running his hand over inky hair. 'We will fix this,' he leant down to kiss Loki, a chaste brush of lips.

'Do you think Tony will be agreeable to meeting with us?' Loki murmured against his lips.

Stephen understood the need to reassure himself that Tony was well, that nothing could harm him as long as he was near. He also knew Loki had been more affected by Bruce's talk about Tony's acceptance than he was revealing.

Loki had extended him the courtesy of allowing their first time alone...

'You go to him. I have things I need to do at the Sanctum.'

Stephen could give Loki the same gift he'd been given.

'More important than Tony?' Loki tried for a sarcastic tone, missing the mark by miles.

'Nothing is more important to me than Tony. But I have responsibilities, things that I've been neglecting. Look after him?'

A twisted sort of fierceness overtook Loki's features, and he reached up, taking Stephen's lips between his own, hand twisting to the point of pain in his hair. Gasping, Stephen gripped Loki harder, shuddering under the sensation.