Part 9

Stephen thought about it for a long time. Weighing up the pros and cons, as if logic could be applied to something so emotional. Slamming down the lid of his laptop, he put it on the bedside drawer and got out of bed, waving off the Cloak that rose to meet him.

Polygamy. Throuples. V relationships.

All different words and connotations, but ultimately leading to the same conclusion. A relationship not only with Tony, but with Loki in some format. Stephen wasn't sure in which way. Did he want to be with the Asgardian as well as Tony? Or was this the only way he could perceive having a romantic relationship with the man, in some sort of sharing arrangement?

They both wanted Tony. Tony wanted both of them. The question was how did they move forward with this?

Flicking on the light switch to the kitchen, Stephen yawned as he set about boiling water, needing something soothing to help him to sleep.

'Is now a good time to talk about what I mentioned earlier?'

'Of course. Is this related to your earlier concerns that something was manipulating Tony's emotions?' Stephen answered, not surprised in the slightest to his visitor, pulling down an extra mug as he brewed the tea.

'I sensed something when I placed him to sleep. An entity. A being, I'm not entirely sure, but I know for certain now. His moods are being tampered with, he is being fed negativity while he dreams.'

Stephen stopped what he was doing.

'They're not just nightmares?'

'No. When I woke him from his dreams, I sent a small tendril of magic into his dreamscape, to confirm my suspicions. It is feeding on his fears, heightening them. My magic broke the link, and then he awakened.'

Stephen said nothing as he brought Loki's chamomile tea over, setting it in front of him, eyes unseeing.

'Then all this time?' Stephen brought a hand to his mouth, horrified that he hadn't noticed. He was Sorcerer Supreme, protector of the people of Earth from magical threats and entities, and he hadn't even noticed with the man he loved?

Loki rotated his wrist, bringing a book to rest on the table with his magic. 'I spent the day researching any possible beings that have been known to do such a thing, and behold,' he tapped the page with his finger, pushing the book over to Stephen.

'Nightmare?'

'He is one of the Fear Lords, a group of demons that aim to spread fear throughout the realms. This one presides over the Nightmare Realm, feeding off the negativity produced by the nightmares of mortals.'

Stephen looked over the texts, horror mounting.

'Odin... my father fought them many years, ago, stripping most of their powers. However, this is a creature that cannot be defeated, for as long as there are beings who dream-'

'He'll never be destroyed,' Stephen finished.

'It is my belief that he is regaining power slowly through the torment of mortal's nightmares. Although it will take centuries for him to gather enough strength to be a threat to any known realm, he has attached himself to Tony.'

'Why? Hundreds of people have nightmares, hundreds are suffering. Why Tony?'

'Because he is a mortal who has one significant advantage,' Loki muttered, catching Stephen's gaze and holding it.

'The spell,' Stephen whispered, feeling sick.

'It's a constant supply of energy. A loop. He can drain Tony, and then your magic replenishes Tony's form, making him healthy and the cycle begins anew.'