nineteen. thantophobia

━━━━  · 。゚☆

━━━━  · 。゚☆ .☽ .* ☆゚. ━━━━

(n.) the fear of losing
someone you love

TODAY WAS THE DAY THAT THE ADOLESCENT ICARUS COULD FEEL HIMSELF BEGIN TO GO UNDER.      His back finally hit the water after being suspended in midair and descending at an agonizingly slow pace for so long. His wax wings fully melted, a mess trailing down his back, water began to surround him and pull at him, gripping him and weighing him down. He didn't think it fair to finally be able to find himself in a fairly happy and stable situation only to have the wool pulled over his eyes and the carpet ripped out from beneath his feet. Only he wasn't able to afford to be surprised for the reason that he had brought this upon himself.

    He knew it'd be short-lived, that happiness, but he just wanted to see how long he was going to be able to make it last before it all eventually came to an unfortunate end as it was snuffed out beneath one's foot and crushed into the ground, never to be seen again. And in actuality, it never was. Not a single person knew what went on between the two. Except the stars. The stars knew everything. Every look, every confession, every kiss, every touch. None of it went unnoticed by them. And they thought about telling everyone.

Draco pulled out the note and read it for what must have been the fifth time that day, the midnight black scrawl dancing across the parchment a certain way that could only prove it was Louis's handwriting.

    That note had never left his side. It was always either in his pocket, tucked away as a bookmark, or under his pillow before he went to sleep for good luck. It didn't feel real, the note. It felt like a dream, fabricated. He didn't know how a note could have him this bent out of shape but here he was, crooked, never quite ever upright.

     I love you.

     Louis had said those words to him and sometimes he felt like pinching himself, just to make sure that he was still within the true reality he was in and not some faux one he built in his head. Although if they were standing within the desired reality Draco was always so close to building, they wouldn't be hiding out in the library or the tower so much. They would be walking the halls, making everyone uncomfortable with the loads of public affection they'd be laying on the other and having McGonagall pull them apart and threaten them with detention for "public indecency." He'd savor the kiss Louis would give him before heading off to his next class and he'd stand in the middle of the hallway like an idiot before someone would bump into him and snap him back to reality.

    However, this was reality number one. The real one. The one that was shrouded by darkness and all hope lost and nothing good ever coming towards him in the end, no matter how hard he tried to twist fate and wring it dry. So Draco did the best he could to make it last, to let the light at the end of tunnel shine a little brighter before it went out completely as it sent him back to that room with the darkness coming up through the floor and seeping into the wood, crawling up the walls and swallowing him whole.