iv. hermes

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 ─── hermes

𝕬 goddess walked the earth, her soul calling for someone...

"What?" Delia ignored the stutter from the man, who was tripping over his words (and his feet), as he struggled to keep up with her pace. Delia paid him little heed, hopping from rock to rock. "I'm truly sorry, could you please wait for a moment? What do you mean?"

"There is nothing more to say." Delia waved her hand.

"But there is." Hermes appeared in front of her, the wings on his shoes fluttering as he set back down onto the ground, eyebrows furrowed. "Zeus told me that he has an order for you."

"Well, Messenger, you can tell Zeus that I care little for his thoughts, or opinions." Hermes paled at the thought of telling Zeus such a thing, and Delia took that time to brush past him once more, heading back towards the south side of the island where her home was. 

How dare that egocentric man dare assume that she would listen to any of his orders on anything. Had he forgotten what had happened the last time that he had commanded her?

"My Lady, please." Hermes appeared beside her once more, hovering in the air. "Zeus asks that you look after the Titan goddess Leto for the remainder of her pregnancy."

"I am not getting involved in any of this!" Delia hissed, spinning around to face the god, who watched her with wide eyes. "He got her pregnant, thus he can be the one to deal with the ramifications of his actions. I will not take part in any of this!"

"I can not tell him that."

"Yes, you can." Delia stopped at the path to her home, spinning around to stare at Hermes with narrowed eyes. "Now, I am asking you politely, Messenger, to leave my island and do not bother returning. Zeus can deal with this on his own."

"But..." Hermes trailed off, watching Delia with wide eyes and a small pout on his lips. She resisted the urge to relent, spinning back to walk towards her house. "Fine. But he will not like this."

"I am counting on that." She turned, watching the god pull his petasos back onto his head, and zip off across the water. "Good riddance."

The early morning sun provided little motivation for Delia to rise from her bed, enjoying the tranquillity and peace that it brought her. Resolving herself to sleep the remainder of her morning away, she pulled the covers further up to her neck and tried to drift off once more.

"My Lady." Delia lazily opened one eye to look at Elidia. "My Lady, the god from before is back and he has brought someone with him."

"He has done what?" Delia sat bolt upright, her eyes wide with shock and annoyance. Jumping from her bed, she barely gave herself enough time to throw a robe over her night gown, and grab her staff, before she stormed off to the beach. 

Skidding down the cliff side, Delia's anger steadily grew as she saw the god from the day before appear into view, along with a pregnant woman, that Delia could only assume was Leto.

"Messenger Boy!" Hermes froze at her angry tone, spinning around slowly to stare at her with a sheepish smile. He fluttered over, coming to a stop in front of her, as Delia tried to take a deep breath to control the rage coursing through her body. "I thought that I made it quite simple last night..."

"You did..." Hermes murmured, chewing his lip.

"I do not want her on my island. I do not want to be involved in whatever thoughtless thing Zeus has done!"

"I know you did." Hermes began to drum his fingers, a remorseful smile on his face. "But Zeus gave me orders. I could not go against them."

"I don't care. I don't want her here," Delia hissed, her temper flaring once more. How dare that man disrespect her wishes and go against her like this. "Find some other place for her."

"There is no other place, My Lady," Hermes tried to placate her, as the pregnant titan glanced between them with worry. She might not have been able to hear what was being said, but she could see the annoyance on Delia's face from a mile away. "Hera will kill her if she returns to Olympus. "

Delia hissed, running a hand down her face.

"Tell Zeus this; the only way she stays, if he swears on the River Styx not to come to my island, visit her or drag me into whatever mess he has made with Hera. I do not wish to anger the Queen of the Heavens." Hermes nodded, licking his lips as he took off once more and Delia turned to face Leto.

The titan practically glowed, despite the mud and blood that covered her face. Delia sighed, her heart softening as she saw what state the woman was in. Walking over to the auburn haired woman, Delia thought of what she was going to say, or how she would explain that Zeus was not welcome on this island, or anywhere near it.

"Thank you..." Delia looked up, tilting her head at Leto's words. "For agreeing to look after me. No one else would take me."

"Because of Hera, I know." Leto nodded awkwardly, as Delia sighed and leant on her staff. "I don't meant to cause you any offence, it's just that Zeus and I are not on the best of terms, and I dislike being dragged into any and all Olympus drama."

"And I am the epitome of Olympus drama, I understand." Leto smiled once more, as Delia nodded. They fell into an awkward silence once more, before Hermes zipped back, coming to a screeching stop beside them.

"Is it done?"

"Zeus agreed to the terms." Hermes replied, as Delia sighed and nodded.

"Come, I'll show you to the house." Leto nodded, trailing the guardian, as she walked back around to the path that lead to the main house. "Not you, Messenger Boy!"

"Why not?" He asked, fluttering over in indignation. 

"Simple, I do not allow gods on my island, only the shores." His jaw dropped. "This is my island, thus my rules should be followed. So, leave. Come, Leto."

The titan looked between Hermes and Delia's retreating form, before following the girl back up the cliff and through the barrier.

Her jaw dropped, as the illusion of a rocky island fell away, and the grandeur of Delos was revealed. The early morning sunlight caused the streams to glimmer, like starlight, and the naiads were already going about their days. Dryads rushed to and fro, plucking the ripest fruit from the bows of their trees, and tending to the other plants, much like the satyrs.

"Not what you were expecting?" Leto glanced back at Delia, who was still walking towards the house in the distance, that the pregnant woman had yet to notice. "The barrier protects us, keeps the island safe. If I were you, I would try your best to stay inside of it."

"I understand,"

"No, I mean it. Stay inside the barrier," Delia turned back to look at Leto, her eyes dark with unspoken memories. "That's my only request."

Hiya,

Welcome to today's episode of Li can't sleep so is writing instead. Hope you enjoy it, Hermes is hilarious and I love him, Delia is so done with Zeus, and Leto's gonna be a lot of fun. There's a little bit of back story sprinkled in there just for fun as well. Also, Messenger Boy will be Hermes' nickname forever.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx