paper cuts

"and she smells like lemongrass and sleep.
she tastes like apple juice and peach.
oh, you would find her in a polaroid picture,
and she, means everything to me"

-she, dodie

♥︎

Ibuki has always loved the idea of love.

To her, they seemed sweet, and romantic. Ibuki was the type of girl to love romance and the idea of love. The thought of someone confessing to her, in the perfect scenery, cherry blossoms falling around her, both of them with intimate feelings towards each other was exciting to Ibuki.

A person telling her "I love you, please go out with me!" was something she craved, something she's waiting for. The thought of it felt ethereal, and filled her up with warm and excited feelings.

She dreamt to be sent a love letter, filled with sweet nothings making her blush and feel warm inside. Love letters that kept her up all night thinking about who could have wrote it. Love letters with pretty handwriting and pretty decorations.

Yet, at the same time, Ibuki feels empty. Ibuki wants to fall in love so, so, badly. Ibuki wants to know what it feels like to be loved, and to love. She has a small idea of what love is, but she'll chase after love for as long as she can.

Imagine her surprise when she finds a love letter on her desk, addressed to her.

♥︎

"CHIAAAAKIIIIII!"

"Huh? Oh, What do you need, Ibuki?

"Ibuki got a love letter! Buuuut....! She doesn't know who sent it!" Ibuki says.

Clutched tightly between her pale fingers was a pale pink envelope, decorated with a heart. The girl stares at the letter in her hand, sighing, as she holds it close to her chest.

Chiaki glances at the letter, a curious look on her face as she lowers her game down and moves closer to Ibuki to see the letter.

Ibuki begins reading the letter aloud to Chiaki, happiness in her voice as she speaks.

"That's nice, Ibuki. Do you know who sent it?" Chiaki asks the happy girl, curiosity lacing her voice.

Ibuki's eyes fell, and Chiaki almost regretted asking the question.

"Noooope!! Ibuki reeeeeally wants to know though!!" Ibuki looks up at him, hope and determination in her eyes; Chiaki smiles at her, tilting her head.

"I'm happy for you, Ibuki. They sound like a kind person. I hope you figure out who sent it." Chiaki says, reassuring the girl. "If you need any, I'm okay with helping."

"Chiaki's right!" Ibuki says with a soft smile. "Ibuki has never ever ever thought she'd get an admirer! Especially not one this good! I miiiiight just faint!"

"...I don't think that'd end well:"

Ibuki's smile is excited and happy, already in love with the admirer. Ibuki couldn't wait for their next letter.

♥︎

Mikan was in love with Ibuki Mioda, and she had been for quite a while now.

Love was an abstract concept to her, something she hadn't had the faintest clue of approaching.

When she'd realised she had a crush on Ibuki, it felt wild, and confusing, and Mikan wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. What was she supposed to do? Confess?

Mikan knew it herself that she could never confess to someone like Ibuki.

The thought of being rejected by someone she deeply cared for and loved, and their friendship being ruined, was something that kept her up all night. These feelings felt so new and confusing, and despite the fact she knew Ibuki would never humiliate someone who confessed to her, the possibility alone made her tear up.

Maybe her crush seemed like a bad thing, but everytime Ibuki spoke to her, complimented her, it felt like she was floating. She adored these words and would look forward to them each day.

Mikan loved the feeling whenever their hands would brush together, when their gazes would meet, when Ibuki asked even the simplest things, like a 'how are you?' or just a 'hi!'. She felt seen, like she was someone that somebody could actually love and care for.  Every single moment.

Mikan never wanted these feelings to fade.

Mikan couldn't pinpoint the exact moment she started feeling more than friendship to Ibuki, but she adored these feelings.

As impossible it might be, Mikan didn't want these feelings to be platonic, but she also didn't want to confess to her.

So instead, Mikan would pour her feelings into a letter as she sits at her writing desk, late at night, thinking of all the things Mikan wanted to say to the girl of her dreams.

"Hmm... what do I write?" she mutters. Her dark purple hair was scattered across the desk as she taps the pencil on the paper.

The girl wracks her brain thinking of small compliments and things to say that would surely having Ibuki blushing.

Chewing on the pencil, she dreams up scenarios for only hers and Ibuki's to think of, writing them down onto paper. A small blush was on Mikan's cheeks as she read the letter.

Mikan rereads her letter over and over again, making small little edits and changes until she thought it was perfect.

She doodles small hearts, and adds cute pretty stickers that make her happy onto the letter, before putting it into an envelope.

Sometimes writing the letters and thinking of what to say was draining. Mikan didn't know why she did it, working on little letters with meaning that might fade over time, as much as she hates the possibility.

It was worth it, though, to see the excited and happy expression on Ibuki's face as she jumped up and down, excitedly telling Souda about the letter she received.

♥︎

a/n
this would be my second fic!! i've improved a lot since missed messages and i really hope you guys like this one!! i can't guarantee a proper schedule but i hope to finish this fic!! i promise it'll be finished :) there won't be daily updates but i hope i update regularly!

hope you guys enjoyed! i'd love to add mikan's letters to the fic,,, but unfortunately i'm not the best at writing letters!! leave it up to your imagination!

also chiaki ibuki brotp lol