Suspicion

The next day at least brought something new. Apart from the usual classes Hades had history of magic and Defense against the Dark Arts. Now, he certainly hadn't expected to like history, especially considering how much the upper years had complained. Adrian Pucey had been rather pleasant to him since the first encounter, and the favour of the other Slytherins had luckily followed. He was right about the teacher, the ghost was awful. It was impossible to listen to his droning, and he'd noticed most of the Gryffindors had fallen asleep. However, his eyes were drawn to the textbook. Not because he was fascinated by random dates of goblin ward and such. No, there were two things that had enthralled him so. The first was the more ancient history, the development of magic. Not only was it fascinating, but it's bloody history was rather entertaining to the demon child.

The second, was the fact that a lot of it was wrong. Now, Hades was no expert, but he'd heard many stories over the years of his father and uncles corrupting the humans. They had been at many famous events, and had told different storues to ones he was reading. So correcting parts and filling the gaps was something to amuse him whilst everyone else took a nap. Unfortunately this could mean one of two things. He'd either be an expert in this, because he was one of the few people actually paying attention.... Or he would completely fail because he put the correct facts rather than the ones in the book.

Now DADA was certainly very different. Defense against the dark arts. The name made him chuckle, eliciting a few confused looks from Hufflepuffs in class. Draco seemed to agree though, rolling his eyes at Hadrian when no one was looking. They entered the class room to a stuttering welcome from Professor Quirrel, before joining Theo, Blaise and Draco at the back of the class.

He was grateful for it during the lesson, as DADA was an immense waste of time. Not only was half of it rubbish, any useful information was lost by the ramblings of the teacher. It wasn't long before he drifted off whilst his friends took notes, his sight fading to red as his demonic vision took hold. It was a trick his Uncle Lucifer had taught him, an ability to reveal the darker parts of people's auras. In theory, you could see 'evil' or darkness. He'd picked it up surprisingly quickly, becoming almost second nature. It had become so easy in fact, that if he stopped concentrating, it just kind of happened.

He glanced around, reading the shapes and colours around him. Most of the Hufflepuffs had little to no darkness near them, clearly stoic light wizards. The Slytherins however had circles of black around their head, showing they were repeatedly exposed to dark influences. Some even had darker spots around their heart, showing a practice and acceptance of dark magic. It was a stark contrast to his own aura. He was surrounded by black, no longer visible beneath the shadows of his darkness. The true surprise, however, was the professor. For a defense against the dark arts teacher, he'd expect some slight darkness around his head, from experience with dark creatures. But this was so much more than that. Not only did the teacher have a darkened heart, he had two. He was sharing the body with another dark presence. Perhaps this had something to do with the teachers presence in the forest.

He snapped out of his daydream like state, but too late. Quirrel dismissed the class, he friends gathering their things together, and he reluctantly followed suit. There was no way that had been two hours! He sighed, following his friends out of the classroom, still watching the strange professor. "I hope the other lessons will be more interesting than that." The others nodded, clearly underwhelmed by the lesson. "I know! I could barely hear what he was saying, and I'm sure most of what I did hear wasn't right." Draco agreed with Theo, chipping in with his own thoughts. "I'm glad I already knew the basics before we came here." Blaise nodded, hands shoved into his back pockets and bag swinging. "I feel like we'll be needing the textbooks." Disheartened, the four boys walked into the Great hall for lunch, hoping the rest of the week would be more interesting.