Chapter Seven: Collapse

AND WE'RE BACK!

Warnings --->

WC: ~1300

Enjoy!

Smoke.

That was all there was.

For some reason, Xay didn't spawn in the cave like he predicted, but rather on the surface.

And while there wasn't quite as much smoke as he originally thought, there was still quite a bit.

Xay glanced around in horror at the forest, or what used to be a forest.

It wasn't completely gone, but it was certainly severely damaged. Ashes coated everything, and the scent of smoke lingered in the air. Xay shuddered, guilt stirring inside of him.

Just tell Xisuma, Xay told himself. Then figure out what to do next.

Xay peered at the barren landscape in front of him, trying to figure out the direction of his house. The lack of trees and familiar landmarks had completely ruined his sense of direction-

"Are you sure?"

Xay's head whipped towards the sound. A voice.

"Yes. I'm sorry,"

"P-please, c-can't you-"

"Sir, there's nothing we can do. I'll be back in a bit."

And then the sound of a vehicle driving off.

Xay stayed silent, feeling like he was holding his breath.

What just happened?

Xay narrowed his eyes in the direction of the voices. He couldn't see anyone due to the foggy atmosphere, but he knew one of the voices by heart.

Xisuma.

He was right there.

Better now than later.

Xay took a deep breath, braced himself (although he wasn't really sure why), and started running.

"Xisuma!" Xay called out as his figure came into view.

It was like slow motion.

Xisuma turned around, then covered his mouth with a hand, his eyes widening. Tears were already pouring down, but they only quickened as Xay wrapped his arms around Xisuma. The pair crashed to the floor, too overwhelmed by each other's presence to give a scud for balance.

"How- wh- XAY!" Xisuma shrieked. "HOW ARE YOU ALIVE?!"

"Disappointed, are we?" Xay joked, holding back tears of his own.

"Never," Xisuma breathed. "But I don't understand, we checked everywhere for you."

"I'll explain later," Xay mumbled.

Maybe.

"Why are you crying?" Xay giggled, wiping the tears off of Xisuma's face. "I was only gone for a couple of hours!"

"It was the most stressful and horrible hours of my life," Xisuma murmured. "I thought I lost you-"

"Well, you didn't," Xay replied firmly. "And you never will."

"At least tell me how you survived all the fire," Xisuma pleaded. Xay hesitated.

What's the worst that could happen if I told him?