Ch. 25; Armin

The blinding light of the colossal titan's transformation ceased, the winds had settled. As soon as she could move again, Annie leapt out of Jean and Mikasa's grasp, sprinting towards the blast zone. "AILA!", Annie screamed as she zipped through the air on ODM gear, her eyes grew wide with horror when she saw the destruction, not a single house, building... or person was left alive. To Annie's left, she saw a crystal cocoon sphere that was the same from when Aila protected Levi squad from the cave in. She knew it was Aila's, she flew over the cocoon, only to find Hange and her squad pulling Aila from her titan, desperately trying to save her. Aila's titan body was burnt to a crisp, her limbs had been torn off, her human body wasn't in good shape either. Half of her face had been burned off, a piece of wood speared through her stomach, her left leg was blown off, and her shoulders were covered in burns and cuts. Annie immediately landed next to Hange, "AILA! Oh god no no no no!" "She's still breathing, she's alive. She saved my entire squad but... wasn't able to shield herself from the blast", Hange assured Annie. Annie carefully took and cradled Aila in her arms, tears formed in her eyes, "A-Ail, I'm here", she said with a loving tone, Aila weakly opened her eyes. She smiled at the sight of her blue eyed fiance before her, "An..nie...", Annie laughed with relief that she was alright. Steam emitted more rapidly from her wounds, she would be alright in a few days. Hange stood up and looked towards the giant that walked towards the wall, setting everything in it's path to flames. "Annie, you and another one of your squad members take Aila back up with the queen and Levi. Once you've made sure Aila here is safe, you and your squad return, we need your help taking down the colossal", Hange told Annie, Annie nodded and wiped her tears, she hoisted Aila on her back, using Hange's cloak to cover her. She zipped back to her squad, just barely landing on her feet, "Annie? What the- AILA!", Sasha shouted, she was the first to notice their return. The others quickly turned their attention over to their injured friend, Mikasa knelt down to Aila, "What the.. she was caught in the blast wasn't she?" "Yeah, I need one of you to help me carry her back up the wall to Ymir and Levi", Annie stated. Sasha lifted Aila's right side over her shoulder, "I'll do it, come on!", Annie nodded and took the left side, the two shot off towards the wall, seeking refuge for their injured friend.

Once they got up the wall, Ymir and several other scouts turned their attention to them, immediately being met with shock at the sight of Aila. Ymir sprinted to Annie and Sasha, sliding next to them, "What the hell happened?! Don't tell me Aila here got caught it Berty's big ass blast!". Annie caught her breath, "She-She did, she realized Hange and her squad were right below the blast zone, so she ran to their aid and protected them with her crystal wall but.." "-She wasn't able to shield herself as a price", Sasha finished for Annie. Ymir tried her hardest not to act worried, but she couldn't help it, the sight of Aila's bloodied, bruised, burned body steaming was enough to make the average person faint. Annie placed a soft kiss on Aila's forehead then stood up, "Ymi- Your majesty, we have to return to Mikasa and the others to help take down Bertholdt, I'm leaving Aila with you", Annie told the monarch. Ymir sighed at first, but ultimately nodded, showing she understood this was necessary, but just before Sasha and Annie left to return to Mikasa and the others, Sasha pointed something out. "Hey, where's the captain?", Annie snapped her head around and realized that Sasha was right, Levi was nowhere to be seen. Ymir looked up at her friends, "Oh, shorty was summoned by the commander, he hasn't come back since, I think he might be helping take care of that big ass monkey and his little minions he summoned", Annie growled quietly, now feeling concerned for both Ymir and Aila's safety. She knew what Pieck was capable of even without the cart's armor, one slight movement and Pieck could quickly snatch both of them up. Despite her feelings, she put her trust in Ymir's new capabilities as the jaw, leaving her love in the care of Ymir. She nodded, with an understanding between the three of them, Annie and Sasha left to return to the front lines in hopes of taking down the colossal before Bertholdt wreaked anymore havoc on Shiganshina's ruins.