Ch. 10; Saving the Girl with the Red Scarf

Titans flooded into Trost, the government issued an state of emergency, telling all citizens of wall rose to evacuate into wall sina. All soldiers, including the freshly graduated cadets were issued to protect the city. The soldiers were all split into teams and sent out to defend Trost's citizens until everyone had been evacuated. As Aila awaited her team assignment, she stood by Annie, holding her close. "Aila.. what if something happens to you? We need to be on the same team so I can-", she was stopped with a kiss. Annie leaned into it, grasping onto Aila's jacket, as she was terrified of the thought of something happening to her. Aila broke the kiss, and rested her forehead onto Annie's as she held her face in her hands, "Nothing will happen to me ok? Even if we're placed in different squads, I promise I'll make it back to you.. if you promise to make it back to me too..".Aila's eyes began to tear up, she's never felt this fear of losing the love of her life before. Annie reached her hand up and wiped her tears away with her thumb, gently, as she caressed her cheek in her hand. Aila leaned into her touch, feeling comforted, she caressed Annie's hand that rested on her cheek, wanting to stay like this forever. "Brandt!", a garrison soldier shouted from behind Aila, "Sir!" "You're being assigned to the elite squad with your classmate cadet Ackerman", Aila was shocked, she didn't think she deserved to be placed in such high regards, but she accepted her orders and saluted. She turned back to Annie and grabbed her face gently, Annie wrapped her arms around her neck, the two leaned in for one last kiss, "Be safe ok?" "You too dummy", they backed away from each other, just holding their hands, "Aila.. I love you", shocked at first, Aila stopped, and smiled, "I love you too", and with that, Aila turned and ran to her squad.

Once she had gotten caught up on the plans to keep the citizens safe until they've all been evacuated, Aila's squad took off, and began eliminating the titans that were closing in on the evacuees. When she got the moment to rest, she stood atop a rooftop, with Mikasa soon joining her. Mikasa sheathed her blades, "D-Do you think Sasha is ok?" "Yeah, she was in the top ten after all, she may not be the smartest, but she's got the skills to survive", Aila assured Mikasa who was clearly concerned for her lover. Aila's thoughts soon turned to whether Annie was alright or not, a shiver went down her spine just imagining Annie in danger, but deep down, she knew she'd be ok. "TWELVE METER ABNORMAL HEADED TOWARDS THE CITIZENS!", a soldier yelled as he was trailing behind the running titan, Mikasa unsheathed her blades and jumped off the building, shooting her anchors into the titan, speeding up and slicing its nape just before it reached the citizens. Mikasa rode the titan's back as it fell to the ground before the feet of the citizens, Mikasa glanced at her blades, realizing they'd dulled down, but her attention was soon turned to the citizens eagerly waiting to get through the wall gate. "What's going on here?", Mikasa asked confused, Aila jumped down next to her. A merchant man came forward, "Ah finally! Get these idiots to help me push my wagon through! I'll pay you handsomely!", Mikasa's eyes widened at the selfish statement this man had just made. She pointed her blade down the street the titan had came from, "Seriously? Soldiers are dying.. all because this is taking too long" "Uh yeah? That's their job, now help me push and be useful!", the merchant shouted ignorantly. Aila grit her teeth and clenched the handles of her blades, all she could think about was Annie and Sasha, fighting to protect these people, possibly dying because of an ignorant man. She began to walk towards the merchant, "You want us to be useful huh? Tell me something businessman... do you think stocks and money are going to matter if all these people are dead?", the man flinched, stepping back, "S-Stay back! I know your boss so d-don't try any- AH!", Aila cut his words off by lifting him up by his collar with her right hand. "Or what? Regardless of what happens to me, there's people's daughters, sons, fathers, mothers, husbands, wives fighting right now protecting your pathetic ass!", the man swallowed his pride, "P-Pull the damn wagon out..". Once the wagon was out, Aila dropped him, she turned around and was about to fly off when she was stopped by a little girls' voice, "Wow! Thank you miss soldier!", Aila smiled, saluted, and returned to her post.