28: Choices and Decisions

"Izuku and Inko Midoriya?" A tall man called looking around the room.

Inko and Izuku rose from their seats while giving eachother a nervous smile. They were currently in the waiting room of the hospital. Today was Izuku scheduled appointment to start the process of his brain surgery. He and his mother were both nervous of what the outcome might be. Izuku took extra shifts at his work so he could earn as much money as possible and Inko also took on a small job to help out. Izuku had money but if he used it all just for this surgery he would have nothing left to live with.

The two follow the doctor in a room where Izuku was told to change his clothes into hospital gowns and right after they started talking of what was going to happen.

"Ok I know you are nervous but there is nothing to be afraid of. One of the best brain surgeons came in today from China and will do the removal of the tumor that is located in Izuku's brain." The doctor stated while flipping through some pages.

"Before I continue I need to ask fairly important questions to Izuku here," he said, turning towards the boy who was sitting on the bed as instructed.

"Tell me what I informed you two weeks ago and tell me if you followed those rules"

Izuku nodded his head while thinking back to what the doctor said to him

"In the last two weeks, I didn't take any sort of medication or pills. I didn't consume alcohol or smoke. I think that's about it" Izuku said, now looking at the doctor who nodded his head.

"Very good now here's what's going to happen. You, Ms. Midoriya, are going to sign some papers for us to continue the procedure. With Izuku, we will make markings on his head where we will make the incisions where we will perform surgery. He will be asleep and drugged so he won't be awake and he can be still. I will not go any further in explaining how we remove the tumor but I will give you information on the recovery. Izuku will be taken to a recovery center and we will put him through a ventilator until he wakes. After that he will stay for at least 2-3 days and will do simple exercises like moving arms and legs. His vital will be checked every day when he's both asleep and awake after his surgery. He may experience nausea and headaches after the surgery but that is completely normal. After his recovery he may go home but It is advised he doesnt stay alone" The doctor said explaining everything to the two in front of him.

"I have a question about your specialized brain surgeon" Inko asked in a serious tone. The doctor nodded his head for her to continue "I would like to know more about him"

The doctor understood what she meant and answered "Dr. Yushi is specialized in brain surgery thanks to his quirk. He can remove any body part by picturing the cells that are connected and prying them apart. Basically he will remove every tumor cell that is connected to his brain so it can completely disconnect from the brain. Later while he keeps the cells disconnected to the brain, the other surgeons who are operating will use tools to remove the tumor and stitch back his skull."

Inko looked at Izuku who was smiling brightly. Of course he finds this doctor cool. His quirk can disconnect cells from each other. What else would Inko expect from her son, he was still the same ever since he was a little kid. She smiled and hugged her son tightly letting small tears fall. Izuku did the same.

"If you follow me, Izuku will get ready for his surgery while you sign some papers. The surgery won't happen until tonight so you two will have plenty of time to talk" The doctor said. Inko disconnected herself from her son and gave him a kiss on his forehead. He waved bye and Inko followed the doctor to the waiting room. Inko signed all the papers even If some were hard to agree to. After an hour she went back into the room and hung out with his son. Their evening was fun and filled with laughter. They talked about everything that happened while Izuku was In Japan. Even the subject of Katsuki was brought up by Inko and teased Izuku at how close they looked when she was with his group of hero friends. Soon enough, night came and they said their goodbye with many tears. Surgery is always dangerous and brain surgery is even more so, since it's such a vital organ.