Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Nicole’s POV

I groaned as I kicked off my heels and fell on top of my bed. Today was just plain exhausting!

Isaac had been in a terrible mood all day, and I had faced most of his wrath. I’m sure not even Satan himself is that cruel.

The phone rang and I groaned louder. I didn’t want to get up again!

I sat up, my legs stiff as I walked to the living room of my apartment. I plopped myself on the couch and grabbed the phone, “Hello?”

“Hey sweetie!” My mum’s voice greeted me loudly.

“Hey mum, what’s up?” I answered, trying to make sure my exhaustion didn’t leak into my voice. But I guess I hadn’t hid it well.

“Why do you sound so tired?” She paused and sighed in frustration. “I don’t understand why you can’t just quit? I mean, from what you tell me that boss of yours is a right tyrant.”

I closed my eyes, and wished there was some way I could just hang up without being rude. “I can’t do that mum.”

“You know, being a PR isn’t much different from being an interior designer. So I don’t understand why it is that you won’t work for your father and me? Your brother is, and he seems to enjoy it...”

Course he did, being paid a lot of money just to sit around doing nothing while he let other people do his job for him? Yeah, it’s not a surprise he likes it.

But me? Yeah I actually like earning my money, and working from the bottom to the top. And if I worked in a company that my parents owned, I would already be at the top and everyone wouldn’t think that I actually worked to get there.

But I had already told Mum and Dad this. They chose to ignore it. And I’m not going to repeat myself.  “Well good for Justin. And I like my job, even if my boss is a prick.”

And it was true, I loved organising events, feeling the stress and frustration of ordering and placing everything right, making sure it met the client needs, and then seeing it unfold on the day and feeling satisfied that my hard work paid off as everything looked perfect.

Way better than interior designing in my opinion.

“Okay, fine. I didn’t call to argue. I just wanted to remind you that it’s Justin’s wedding next weekend, so you’d better tell that boss of yours. You know how Justin is, he will be sincerely mad at you if he goes through any important life events without you on his side.”

I smiled. I already knew that. Justin and I were inseparable, and I wouldn’t miss this for the world. I’d already decided that if I didn’t get the weekend off, then I’d have to quit, because there is no way that I’m going to do something that would sabotage our relationship.

So I was really hoping that Isaac would finally show me that he has got a heart and will let me take the weekend off. “Don’t worry mum, I’ll sort it.”

“You mean you haven’t already?! The wedding is on the day after tomorrow! And need I remind you, you are a bridesmaid, therefore you have to attend the hen party!” She said urgently.

I pulled a face, “Today was hectic, okay? I didn’t get a chance. And Isaac was super angry; I just didn’t think it was the right time.”

She sighed, “Nikki, if you don’t make it...”

“Don’t worry mum, I will make it even if it means I have to quit.”

“Okay sweetie, I believe you. I’ll see you this weekend then.” She said, and I could tell she was suppressing her joy.