20

## Only 2 chapters left! ##

"I told you we can't fly. I'm going to get sicker, I'm going to want blood, we can't risk it." Wren snaps as Rosalie drives to an airport.

"It won't be a problem. We have money, Wren, it's handled." She says, parking up beside a small jet.

"You..." She begins, but stops herself. Of course she did. She rented a jet. Its Rosalie, she's extra like that.

Jasper steps off it and opens Wrens door for her. "How do you feel?" He asks.

"I'm fine. Its only been a few hours. Did she come?" Wren asks, looking at the plane.

Huilen peaks out and smiles small. "Hello, Wren." She says.

Wren rushes up the steps and takes the seat beside Huilen and a younger girl. "Hi... Who's this?"

"This is Nani, she is from the tribe the legend originated from."

Wren smiles at the quiet girl. "Hi..."

She swallows hard. "Hello." She whispers. It frightens her that she is in the presence of a witch.

"Do you mind telling me the legend? All the details." Wren asks.

The girl looks around nervously, giving a shaky nod as the door of the plane is secured. She grips the arm rests. "Um..." She says.

"It begins in Norway. Many many years ago." She says. "The norse people that came to be known as the vikings. They weren't explorers yet, they weren't who you know them to be. Around 5000 years ago, one community started using the magic the land gave them for bad. Within a few generations, they didn't need the help of the gods or the land and could do it alone. These were the first magic holders of Europe. They wanted eternal life. They thought they deserved it. So that is how your kind came to be." She whispers, looking at Huilen.

"Once they had created the curse that makes you stop aging, they realised the dark consequences of it. But they couldn't undo it - didn't want to. The gods tried everything over the years to slow them, and in part they managed. If it wasn't for them there would be many more leeches around. About 1500 years ago, they'd had enough. That is when they sent the 4 witches - ones they'd created. Each was given the task of killing the original dozen that made up the coven as they believed it would wipe you all out to take the originals away. In return for their work, they were given human lives and the protection from that curse. When the gods realised they couldnt rid the world of you all well... They stepped back. And have left the world without control since."

"What happened to the 4 they sent?" Jasper asks, a frown on his face.

"They spread across the world and tried to teach as many people as they could about the signs of an immortal so they were aware. They lived normal length lives and all died quickly. Their stories were shared but many were lost in translation or turned into tales and myths. My tribe, a very old tribe, we kept the word of the witch who came to us all those years ago as sacrid writings. We still speak of it and honour it today." She says.

Wren watches her. "That's why you're nervous, isn't it?" She notes. The girl shakes her head. "You are. You're playing with your skirt a lot and you keep looking at the exits. Of course you realise we're thousands of feet in the air but you'd rather die from falling than at the hands of immortals - of which there are 3 surrounding you."

Nani clears her throat. "Fine. Yes. I'm nervous - what is to stop any of you killing me? Especially you with your sickness and lack of control." Her voice has an edge to it.

Wren smirks a little. "Don't worry. I'm not thst hungry - yet. Its Jasper you should worry about."

Jasper smirks a little. "Behave, Wren."