18

TRIGGER WARNING OF BLOOD AND MENTION OF DEATH!!!!

"Please don't leave me yet." Carlisle whispers to Wren as she sleeps, his lips close to her ear as he tucks the blanket closer to her. "Just hold on a few more hours. Ignore heaven's calls just this once."

Her eyes barely open, but she gives a small nod. She doesn't understand what he says - but knowing he's close by is enough to comfort her. She's barely hanging on, the life draining from her body.

He looks up as Edward comes in, giving a small nod. He takes a deep breath and leaves Wren with Alice, Jasper and Aro who'll be taking care of the gorey part of this - draining Wren. Her body will heal any deep cuts they make so they have to work slowly, holding sharp obsects in place so the cuts can't heal.

He, Rose and Edward join Rachel in the dining room. She sitting at the table and looks up as they come in. "So... How's this going to work?"

Edward explains. "Were going to take as much blood from you as we can. I have to warn you... You're going to feel terrible. We cannot take more than 35 to 40 percent of your blood or it could kill you. Once we've taken as much as we can, Rosalie is going to rush it to Wren while Carlisle and I give you several transfusions of the donated blood. "

Rachel takes a shaky breath as she nods. "Sounds... Gorey."

"You don't have to do this." Carlisle says quietly. "It's okay-"

"I don't have to, you're right." Rachel says as she looks up at him. "But I want to do this. I don't necessarily agree with your existence but you've never done wrong by a human. You've stepped up to protect my family and pack, my town, my friends. All the good you do for others makes the hell I'm about to go through worth it. You deserve your happiness. I've got mine."

Carlisle gives a small, but genuine, smile. "Thank you."

Rachel smiles. "Just make sure Jake keeps Paul preoccupied. If something goes wrong... Run." She warns.

Edward clears his throat, hating how satisfied Carlisle seems with the idea of Paul ending him if this does go wrong and neither of them survive. Despite having 3 medical professionals with her, Rachel is beyond nervous as she watches Edward slip the cannula in her arm. She barely winces, but cringes as the stream of red leaves her arm and through the tube, beginning to fill the bag on the table.

"And we're off." Edward mumbles.

The whole house is quiet, some people opting to be away from all the blood and others opting to occupy Paul so he doesn't lose his shit. Soon enough there's one bag down, two bags. Rosalie takes each bag and sets it up with Wren, each bag needing a few hours to transfuse. Rachel begins to feel faint, leaning her head back. "You we-weren't kidding." She mutters.

"Two more pints, Rachel, we're half way." Edward encourages. "If you want to stop we can stop."

"I'm good." She mumbles, keeping her eyes closed.

Carlisle is pacing, focusing on Wren's struggling heartbeat. She has to hold on. Just a little longer. She has to.

-

"Rachel's resting." Edward says as he comes in. Everyone's surrounding Wren as the last unit of blood drips into her body, several hours having passed since this theory became a reality. She's not regained consciousness, but her heart hasn't stopped either. So it's neither good nor bad.

"She smells so different." Alice whispers, leaning on Jasper. "I don't like it. She smelt different before but this is worse."

He rubs her back gently. "She's not in pain, thats all that matters."