17

Wren makes it to the top of the stairs, a little breathless but very relieved. She makes her way to her favourite place - the office. She leans in the doorway and peaks in, Carlisle gazing out of the window. "Hey hot stuff." She says.

He blinks as he breaks out of his thoughts, a small smile spreading onto his lips. She looks sicker... "Hi." He whispers, infront of her in seconds. He strokes her hair back as she leans into his touch. "Let's get you somet-"

"No... No more." She shakes her head. She looks into his eyes as he cups her cheek. "It's a deadly cycle, my love... People need that blood."

Carlisle tenses up. "You. Need. It." He says slowly.

"No I don't." Wren says firmly. "The cycle can't be broken, it's done. You have to accept that I'm going to-"

"No!" He yells, kicking the dresser beside him across the room and out of the window in his anger.

Wren steps back as Emmett and Jasper step in front of her defensively. "Stop, he's okay." She says, though she knows he isn't. The man doesn't have a violent bone in his body but the last few days have gone very similarly to this.

Carlisle glares at his sons, his black eyes cold and emotionless. "Leave!" He snarls.

"Not until we know you're calm. You're not going to run away with her like you think." Jasper says. "Edward told us your plans."

"You're all letting her die!!!" He yells.

"It's what I want!" Wren yells, pushing past Emmett and Jasper. "I want to die!"

Carlisle shakes his head, backing up. His face is distorted in pain. "How can you say you love me... When you're so hell bent on leaving me?" He whispers.

Wren's heart clenches as she steps forward. "Carli- Carlisle!" She calls and sighs as he disappears. She sinks onto the couch and puts her head in her hands, rubbing her temples.

Jasper kneels in front of her and rubs her back. "You're okay, it'll pass." He encourages, feeling the wave of sickness as she does.

"That's the thing... It's taking longer. And soon it won't pass." She breathes, straightening up. "Should I be concerned as to why the house is so quiet the last few days?" She asks, noticing Emmett has torn, probably returned to whatever he was doing before.

Jasper smiles small. "While we respect your wishes, it doesn't mean we're going to stop looking for a way. We won't put you through every test and trial like Carlisle wishes but we won't stop looking for a reasonable cure." He explains.

Wren sighs and looks into his darkening gold eyes. "Stop wasting your time. Magic as old as this... Well, I don't think it'll be easy to stop. It's not like gods and things really exist."

"We don't know that for sure." He says. "So we won't give up. There's a lot of people on the case - you've somehow got the attention of the most powerful vampires there is."

"Yay." She says sarcastically. "Can you take me to the kitchen? I want to eat some cake even if it doesn't satisfy the craving."

Jasper chuckles and nods, carrying her downstairs and setting her on the counter. He grabs her a thick slice of cake and hands it to her on a plate with a fork. "Mother dearest."

Wren groans. "Oh dude!" She cringes, laughing.

Jasper chuckles and leans beside her as she takes a big mouthful. "At least it made you laugh."

Rosalie is suddenly in front of them. "I have a theory." She says urgently.

Wren looks at her as she chews her cake. "Mm?" She asks, her mouth more than full. It tastes so good - but it won't stop the hunger.