Chapter Nine

"(Y/N)." You heard the same distant haunting voice call to you from the void. All around you was darkness, and your body felt heavy. You felt the urge to call back to the voice, but you were too weak to do it. 

"(Y/N)!" This was just the routine now. The voice became more desperate as it became more distant. But it seemed a little bit different this time. You could tell it was farther away, but it became more distinct, almost like a voice you've heard before. The combination of colors that you regularly saw suddenly materialized in front of you, but this time it seemed to be taking a more structured shape than it ever had before. It was still too hard to make anything out of it.

"(Y/N)!" This was new. It sounded extremely close to you, and your body started feeling a bit lighter now. The form was now practically on top of you. The sound surrounded your whole body. This voice.... it almost sounded like...

"(Y/N)! Wake up! What is going on with you?" You abruptly awoke to the captain hovering above you, his hands shaking you by your shoulders. He looked worried. He calmed down a little bit once he realized you were awake now, but he didn't move from his position. 

"Good morning, Levi.." You mumbled sluggishly.

"Tch." He said. "It's about time. I waited at the door, but you weren't coming for a long time, so I came in. You were laying here, shaking. Were you having a bad dream or something?" He said, trying to mask his concern. 

You reached to your forehead, which you noticed was sweating. "Yeah, I actually was having a weird dream... but it's one I have had before. I keep having it all the time, actually."

"Tell me what it's about." Levi commanded, finally leaving you and taking his regular spot on the chair next to your bed. That chair was pretty much a permanent fixture of the room. He combed a hand through his hair as if to reset his emotional state. You would have loved to sit there and enjoy the sights, but your eyes were blurry.

You rubbed your face in your hands, trying to wipe away the sleep from your eyes so you could see clearer and feel more awake. Your voice still gravely from just waking up, you started telling him about the reoccurring dream, also mentioning the things that have changed. His concerned expression didn't leave his face.

You didn't want to tell Levi that the voice sounded like him, because he might get creeped out. So you elected to omit that piece of information.

"I'm no fortune teller, but that does sound like a weird dream." He said. "What do you think it could mean?"

"I honestly have no idea. I started having it a few months before the titans attacked Shinganshina, and started to change after... after..."

"Spit it out, (Y/N). After what?"

"After I talked to you for the first time." You said, remembering the morning after you talked to Levi in that alleyway. 

It was about dawn when you shot up in bed, Mylius's sleeping body right next to yours. He looked peaceful. It was too early to start scrounging for food, so you decided the best use of your time was to try and get some more sleep. It didn't take long to get back to rest, but it was far from peaceful.

You closed your eyes and saw a dark expanse before you. When you looked down, your skin seemed to be actually glowing and emitting light. In the distance you could see the blobs of color and shades that you'd seen in this dream before. 

The figure came closer, calling your name as it had done so often before. You were frozen in place, only there to witness the display of events as if it were a show for you to watch. But suddenly, there was a new sensation this time. Your body parts started feeling heavy. It made the idea of moving even more impossible.