Chapter Seven

Your friends finally got to have a day off of training, which meant everyone was paying a lot more attention to you. For the past week, Levi visited you frequently, sometimes supplying you with a new book to read. His taste in literature still baffled you, but you weren't complaining. Your ankle started to feel a lot better, but the nurse told you not to walk on it quite yet, so you still asked your friends for help getting around the place.

You were having a nice chat with the girls when there was a knock at the door. Altiena scrambled to her feet and skipped over to it, swinging the door open to reveal Mylius. He locked eyes with you and pointed a finger in your direction, as if speaking directly into your mind.

We are talking now, You imagined him saying. You just raised your eyebrows and nodded, then lifted your arms up in the air to indicate that you needed help moving. He came to your aid and helped you out the door and over to a secluded picnic table.

Most of the other cadets were sleeping in today, but some were still out doing light exercises or talking to each other. It seemed people were in higher spirits today. Good for them.

"So..." Mylius sat across from you, folding his fingers together and dramatically placing his arms on the table. "What is the deal with you?"

You played dumb. "What do you mean?"

"Come on, you know." Who am I kidding?  You thought. Mylius can read me like a book.

"Fine..." You let out an exasperated sigh. "I don't think there's any 'deal,' but I will agree with you that things have been different recently. And I mean on top of all the other drastic changes we've been going through."

"Yeah. So, let me know what's going on, okay? I know you might be leaving soon, but that doesn't mean I get pushed out of your life. I expect regular letter-writing when you're playing with the big kids in the scout legion." Mylius said, already planning on your decision having been made.

"It's not like I've made a decision yet. I still have until my injury is healed. I just find it really hard to concentrate when all my thoughts are consumed by the captain."

"Oooh~" Mylius purred in a singsongy voice. "Does someone have the hots for the captain?"

He expected you to immediately argue with him, but to his surprise, you remained quiet and pensive.

"Would it be impossible to believe it if I did?"

"WHAT?" Mylius practically screamed, almost jumping off the bench. "Uh, kinda, but also... not really? You have been spending a lot of time with him recently... and there's the fact that he's a jerk to literally everyone except you..."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"He acts like no one is worth his time. The only person he pays any attention to other than Commander Shadis is you."

The reality hit you like a ton of bricks. Now that he mentioned it, it did seem a little odd that he was seemingly uncharacteristically caring toward you.

"What should I do?"

"If you're asking for my blessing, then you have it." Mylius announced. "He's obviously attracted to you in some way, or he wouldn't be acting the way he does."

Is he really being that obvious? Can everyone tell?

"However, you've only known him a couple weeks. If I were you I'd wait until he makes a real move. That way you're sure you're not misconstruing his intentions."

"Is that the logic you're operating under with Altiena?" You tried to shift the conversation off of yourself.

He hesitated. "We're not going to talk about that right now, (Y/N). You know I like to take my time."