chapter twenty eight - the ambush

Dagger and Alessia had quietly crept out of the back doors of the tavern, with their packs in hand, and headed for the inn. They managed to do so without anyone noticing. They'd have to cross a short distance outside to reach the inn.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lure you out here. I figured you were the most sober out of everyone."

"The tavern's rum doesn't affect me like it used to."

Lie. The world was spinning.

He stood still and watched her continue towards the inn. He couldn't tell if she was speaking or not, all he could focus on was her movements. Watching her focused his drunken vision and let him assume he was sober. She had reached the doors of the inn, any second now she would turn around and see him staring. She would notice he wasn't walking by her side.

She turned to face him, confused.

Had she said something else? He couldn't tell.

The pack slung off of his back and fell to the ground.

Alessia stood motionless as he slowly walked towards her as she was his focal point. She made the world seem clear.

Dagger stopped directly in front of her.

"You're not sober, are you?" she asked.

"Nope."

Yet she didn't move away.

Dagger's heart pounded while looking at her.

Oh, Dagger, you can never make up your mind, can you?

No, he couldn't.

How is it you truly feel about me, Dagger?

He didn't know.

Do you still loathe me?

Gods, he wished he did. It would've made things so much easier if he just did what was right.

Her skin was bright against the darkness of the night sky. Her cheeks were curved upwards, a smile was attempting to escape free.

The tavern was right on the border of Kintu and Gunther. Unclaimed by either kingdom. Where they now stood. Neutral territory.

Perhaps it wasn't a smile . . . he could see her lip tremble as she looked him up and down. And twice over.

Dagger's hand twitched as he brought it up to graze her cheek. Her eyes watched his hand. She didn't say a word. One touch to his fingertips set him off. He couldn't help it as his palm cupped her soft face. His hand felt like it was melting into her skin.

He hadn't realized how close they were until her breath stroked at his chin. A slight tilt of his head would have their foreheads touching. He obliged. He was starving.

Her bottom lip twitched slightly as his tongue trailed over her pigmented lips. She tasted lovelier than he had ever imagined. Yes, he had imagined this. He had dreamed of brushing his lips against hers, and for what reason, he didn't know. All he knew was he couldn't stay away. Bright pink flushed atop her cheeks, Dagger could feel the heat beneath his palm.

"We are inevitable, Dagger," she said, that pink still staining her face. "Don't you see how horribly this will end if we go any further?"

We are inevitable, Dagger.

End horribly.

Further.

Alcohol leaked from his breath and brushed across her lips. Her fixed gaze flicked away from his palm still pressed to her delicate cheeks that had taken permanent residence. Layers of strength resided beneath her exterior. Under the sheen that the starlight cast from above, her eyes mimicked that of the newborn greens of spring and the crashing waves of the wilting sea. Bright and bold, and somehow found a way to stand out more at the height of the darkened skies that stretched beyond. This moment, right here, was where he belonged. For the first time in his sorry life, he felt like he belonged somewhere.