Chapter 8

Monday October 21st

"Heya, Remus, look alive," Lily swung into the backroom. He lifted his head in greeting and continued to nurse the black coffee in front of him. He'd somehow managed to get roped into the morning shift and was vehemently regretting it.

"I have exciting news," She collapsed into the chair opposite him and posed with her chin in her hands, eyes sparkling with eagerness.

"Oh?" Remus raised his eyebrow, impressed at her energy this early in the day.

"Alice and Frank got engaged! It was the most romantic thing ever," Lily sighed happily. "It was a candle-lit dinner, stroll by the Thames, and a rickshaw ride around Central,"

"That's amazing, I'm so happy for them," Remus smiled.

"And to celebrate, they're throwing a costume party!" Lily squealed. "I love costume parties, do you love costume parties?" Remus opened his mouth to reply but Lily continued without waiting for a response, her joy bubbling over.

"Yes, yes, wedding... engagement... exciting, but first! Costume party," Lily clapped her hands in glee. "I was wondering about a big group costume: you, me, Sirius, James, Marls. I'll create a group chat tonight to brainstorm. So exciting!" And with that, Lily swished into the office, humming a Disney theme tune as she went.

--<>--

*Lily created the group chat: costume party :)*

Lily: ok ok, costume ideas everyone!

Marlene: there are five of us? spice girls, simple

James: what about colours of the rainbow!

Lily: there are seven colours of the rainbow, James. what about Disney characters!

Remus: should've known you'd suggest that considering you were humming 'let it go' all morning...

James: only if I can be Sleeping Beauty

Marlene: now that is a sight I would pay to see

Sirius: god, me too

Lily: okay, not Disney characters...

Sirius: Evans, you just don't want to see me happy

Lily: Maybe I just want to keep James wearing a ball gown between him and I... ;)

Marlene: mayday, mayday, Lily made a dirty joke. how is James coping?

Sirius: he's gone all red and his hands are shaking too much to type

James: no I have not!

Sirius: you are literally using speech-to-text right now

Marlene: Are u guys texting whilst next to each other?

Lily: they are always together, you should know that by now. back onto the topic of costumes! I think you guys are scaring Remus

Remus: maybe, but I am enjoying it nonetheless

James: that's my boy, Rem, the only guy who uses 'nonetheless' in text messages

Sirius: why don't we all dress up as me

Marlene: absolutely not

Sirius: I'm just saying, you'd all look hot...

Marlene: I already look hot

James: me too

Lily: Jesus christ

James: do you not agree, Lily? *gasp*