43 - just like that

*cant stop laughjinh that pic*

I told Ashton a little while ago that I was going to apologize to my dad. I never did and right now, there's nothing I want to do more. I miss talking to him like I usually do, it's like I lost a best friend.

It was after midnight when Ashton finally gave up on me yesterday. I never replied and he eventually realized that I'm not going to. I'm not sure if he's actually coming here or not.

I make my way out of my bedroom and start walking down the stairs, looking for my dad. I immediately see him sitting on the couch watching Finding Nemo.

I silently approach the couch and sit down beside him. He doesn't say anything, he doesn't even look at me. That's how I know he's sad. He usually can't keep a smile off his face around me.

"Dad?" I speak up. He raises one eyebrow, but doesn't remove his eyes from the tv.

"I'm sorry for saying you're a bad parent. That wasn't true at all. You're the best dad in the whole world and I love you."

"I accept your apology. And I guess I love you too," He sighs and hugs me. I smile and close my eyes, feeling myself starting to get emotional. Not because of my dad, but because of Ashton.

"I'm confused," I say quietly. He pulls back and gives me a worried look.

"We can talk about it if you want. I do have pretty good advice for stuff," He says as he flips his imaginary hair off his shoulder.

"Ashton did something horrible. I thought I could forgive him, but I just can't stop thinking about it. I told him I didn't want to talk anymore and he told me that I'm breaking his heart. I feel so awful now," I mumble.

"He did something horrible?" My dad asks and I nod.

"If you say it's horrible, I'm sure it is. But Maddie..." He grabs the remote and turns down the tv before focussing completely on me. "Is he trying to be better? Can you tell?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I see what's happening," He nods with a smile. I look at him expectantly and he excitedly jumps up from the couch. He exaggerates with a cough and then puts a foot on the coffee table. Both of his arms rest on the raised leg and he starts doing these weird hand motions.

"Maddie, you're stuck in the past. Quit worrying about something that can't be changed, you feel me?"

He's slouched now and I can tell he's trying to look cool and laid back.

I give him a blank stare and he let's out a small laugh. My dad can be talking about the most serious stuff, but he always makes it out to be a joke. I usually do find it funny, just not right now.

"But what he did was really bad," I argue.

He removes his foot from the table and sighs. I watch as he puts his hands in the pockets of his pants.

Okay good. This is serious dad. This is the dad I need right now.

"I understand that, Madeline. And honestly, I don't want to know what he did. I like that kid and I have a feeling whatever it is that he did will change my view of him. I just think you need to consider the variables in this. You two really like each other. If you're feeling this sad about it all, maybe you should try to work it out. Don't push him away."

I focus on the tv again to see that the movie is almost over. It's at the part where Nemo's stuck in the huge net. This part makes me sad even though I know what happens.

My phone buzzes and my dad watches as I see who it is. A part of me was hoping it'd be Ashton. I am so pathetic.

Luke: hello