Garden of flowers

Azriel found Elain in the garden.

He knew she would be here. She tended to spend most of her time with her beloved plants. He loved that about her, her ability to love something that couldn't outwardly show it back.

It was the beginning of twilight when he reached her. His shadows keeping him quiet as the night approached. He watched her for a moment, taking in her beauty. She had always stunned him. She carried herself with a grace that was unknown to him. Her love and kindness poured out of her to everyone and everything she touched. Himself included.

She was kneeling in front of a flower bed when he got close enough to hear her.

"I just don't know what to do. I don't love Lucien, you know this. " Elain spoke to the flowers she was planting.

"But he keeps trying and trying. He is very kind. He truly is. But.. but...  Azriel."

The sound of his name on her lips stopped him in his tracks, only a yard away from her. She continued on, talking to the flowers she was now placing into the ground.

"You know how I feel about him. I look at him and my heart sings! I've tried to stop, in honest, trying to read and write to distract myself but he's always there, in the back of my mind."

Azriel just listened, not comfortable with hearing her inner thoughts that were not meant for other ears. But he couldn't stop himself.

 Elain.

 His Elain was talking about him.

"I just wish it was easy. I would run away to be with Azriel. I need to find a way to get the courage to speak with him. Tell him how I feel. Let him know that I only see him."

Elain sighed, placing soil over the newly planted flower. Her gloves were covered in dirt.

She lifted a hand, sitting back on her haunches, to whip the lingering sweat from her work that day.

Azriel moved closer at her words, standing directly behind. He had been speechless as he listened. She felt this way? Like I did? He thought as he watched her.

"I just only see him." She says to the newly planted flower. "I only see him."

Azriel steps on a loose twig. Elain whips her head around to see Azriel standing behind her. Her breath catches. 

Did he hear? Her first thought has she takes in the sight of him. Her eyes widened at the sight of him. He took her breath away. His height, his wings.

Azriel moves to her side, his eyes meeting hers as he kneels beside her. His hand reaches up. She stills as she watches him move. He brings his fingers up to her forehead, lightly brushing away the dirt she rubbed there just moments before.