Cold Coffee

Nesta had just woken up.

The morning sun was shining in through her windows. There was a male beside her that she didn't remember the name of and a half empty bottle of wine on her night stand.

Just another day.

She groaned as she got up, the bed shifting beneath her. She grabbed the bottle, tossing the cork and took a swig. The taste of sour wine hit her tongue like an old friend.

She leaned over to the person in her bed and gave him a shove, getting him to stir.

"Hey, get up." Nesta spoke before taking another pull from the bottle of wine.

The male stirred, moving his head from under a pillow to look at her.

"Hi." He grumbled as he woke up.

"Get out."

Was all Nesta said as she stood up from the bed, moving towards her bathroom.

"Hi, uh, last night was fun, what's wrong?" The male spoke from the bed, moving to sit up and face her.

"I said Get out."

Nesta turned to face him, shooting him with those hard grey eyes. He looked at her for a moment, realising she was serious before he got up, wrapping the sheet around himself, looking to the floor for his clothes,

"In the living room." She snorted before entering the bathroom.

Nesta heard him shuffling around her loft before turning to look at herself in the mirror. Small light purple bags under her eyes, hair all over the place and those eyes staring back at her. Flat dull grey eyes. Numb. Just like she felt.

She stayed in the bathroom as she heard the male leave, only re entering her room once her door closed shut.

She moved to the small kitchenette, going to the fridge for some butter before cutting a piece of bread. She took her time making her toast, something to absorb all the alcohol she drank the night before and what she was starting with today.

Setting the bottle down, she ate her toast. Deciding that she needed coffee instead and after looking, realizing she had none. Nesta dressed in a navy blue dress, not bothering with undergarments, and threw on her grey coat as she munched on the last bite of bread. Grabbing her keys on her way out, she left her apartment.

Nesta rarely ventured during the day anymore, not since she started her drinking habit at Nolan's tavern. Nolan's was only a block away, easy to find and easier to stumble home to with a male every night.

Nesta started this after the war.

The night court returned to Velaris after the war with Hybern as if nothing had happened. As if her father hadn't died, as if  thousands of soldiers hadn't sacrificed themselves. Those memories haunted Nesta everyday.

Her laying herself over Cassian when the King of Hybern came after them, Nesta had laid her life down to protect Cassian. They kissed each other then, thinking it was their last moment alive.

That was what haunted Nesta the most. That kiss. In that moment, she had never felt more alive. The first time in her life she felt like she belonged somewhere. In Cassian's arms, her lips on his. She saw it everyday. All the time. She tried to drink it away, taking lovers as if to replace that ache for him. But every night, with every lover she took, she saw his face. Sighed his name while another male was inside of her.