Chapter Five: Friendships

Monday morning, Atticus had to give Salem another, equally bumpy, ride to school because the shop also found a problem with the engine of the car. Like an "it was smoking when they started the car" problem. If only Atticus changed the oil when Salem told him to. 

They pulled up in front of the school. Salem took a breath. "I cannot wait until I graduate," she muttered when Tobias winked at her from his group of friends. 

"He can't be that bad," Atticus said, looking at him. "He seems nice."

She snorted. "'Seems' being the key word there, Addie." She sighed. "I better get going. I can't be late again."

"Alright," Atticus said. "I'll be here at 2:30." Then he drove away after Salem got out.

She shouldered her bag and sipped her coffee. That day she got it for free since her stamp card was filled up. Salem was able to walk to her locker without seeing Teresa which was always a good start to the day. 

She fished her math book from her locker so she wouldn't have to make an extra stop between homeroom and second period. When she slammed her locker, Tobias was leaning against the wall. 

"What do you want?" she demanded. "You keep showing up everywhere."

Tobias shrugged. "I could use a friend. So could you."

Salem snorted. "You have friends. And I don't want them." She turned to walk away but Tobias followed her.

"Correct," he said. "I have friends, just not nice ones. I want a nice friend."

She raised her eyebrows at him. "And you think I'm nice?"

He shrugged. "I think that you would nice if someone was nice to you," he said. 

Salem stopped at her homeroom door. "Well, you're dead wrong." 

She walked into the class and the students who were already there began whispering when they saw Tobias with Salem. 

She sat at her desk and glared a couple of kids behind her. "If you are going to gossip, at least have the balls to tell me what you think to my face."

The whispering subsided as the bell rang and Mr. Penlin began making announcements. By the time math came around, everyone had heard of the great big "Tobias walked Salem to class" scandal. She got more weird looks than usual. 

She took her spot in the middle of the field at lunch. She always skipped the meal part of "Lunch Break" because usually, someone stole it or ruined it. She ate when she got to the coffee shop. Hating eating in front of other people, she skipped lunch at school.

"Can I sit with you?"

Salem looked up from the journal that was being held together with scotch tape and saw Tobias standing above her. She shrugged. "It's a free country."

"You don't have a lunch," he observed, sitting next to her in the grass. 

She chuckled. "Points for you. I don't eat lunch."

He bit into his apple. "Will you at least give me a chance?"

Salem snorted.

"Alright," he sighed. "If I am not true to my word, you can spit in my face."

"I can't be your friend," she said, writing another line in her book. "My only friend is 23 and owns a coffee shop. I don't know how to be friends with people my own age."

"Maybe I can teach you," he offered.

Salem laughed and closer her book. "I don't think someone is supposed to be taught how to be friends."

Tobias shrugged. "Who said that we had to do what everyone else said?"

Salem sighed. "You really are a persistent bastard, aren't you?"

"What can I say?"

She gave in. "Fine. But if this is a trick--"

"It's not," he interrupted.

"Don't interrupt me," she chided gently. "Anyway, if this is a trick, I will do worse than spit on your perfectly structured face."

He nodded. "Understood."

The bell rang informing everyone that lunch was over. Salem began walking towards the school's fence. Tobias followed her as she wedged her boot into the fence and boosted herself over.

"Where are you going?" he asked her.

Salem pulled her hair into a ponytail. "Ditch school and go to the coffee shop, or go to English class and learn about the Salem Witch Trials, which by the way, I know everything about since my mom was a witch." She huffed. "There's no need for me to go. I'll be back for history. Maybe."

"Ditching is a gateway drug," he teased.

Salem snorted. "A drug I accepted as part of me a long time ago." She turned and walked away from the school. "Goodbye Tobias. See you tomorrow," she called.

"Bye, Salem," he said quietly but loud enough for her to hear.

As she walked away to call Atticus, she couldn't help but smile.